Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for a call and nobody was in!

slavo71
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Charged for a call and nobody was in!

Just noticed on my bill there is a charge for: 05/01/2016 123 08:40:15 00:01:00 £0.50. Just did a Google search and 123 is the speaking clock, why would anyone even phone that these days? 99.9% of people have mobile phones if they want to see the time.
Looking at my work rota I was on days that week = 7am start and my wife always gets the 8.15 bus! So at 8.40 there was nobody even in the house!
Could it be an engineer hooked onto our line from the post outside the house to test something?
I know it's only 50p, but it's the principle that we have been charged for a call that we didn't make!  Huh
Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Charged for a call and nobody was in!

Really sorry to hear this, I'll say the same thing I said last time I dealt with one of these Wink
Quote from: HarryB
On this occasion I'll get this refunded as soon as I can, however if it happens again moving forward we'll need to do a little more investigation in to it.
I'll need to wait for the payment to clear and then once I've seen that it's cleared I'll get the refund issued.
I've said this before on a similar thread, but I really do not understand why engineers would use 123, surely they must know it's a chargeable call Angry
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Harry, it's a well known fact that engineers use 123 to test lines. See http://www.revk.uk/2015/11/fraudulent-calls-to-123.html
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

While I do fully appreciate that, as I said last time:
Quote from: HarryB
It's not so much that I believe you this time, I have believed customers when they have said they have been in for an engineer visit, only to be proven wrong by photographic evidence in the past. It's more along the lines of, if it continues to happen to the same customer regularly, then further investigation is required.
As I'm sure you can appreciate we can't just refund all calls to a certain number every time, however as a one off for a small amount (Especially when it's something like 123 calls, that we all know aren't always genuine) I don't see it to be a problem.

I also recall that there was another thread about 123 calls that wasn't quite the same and didn't really seem like the 123 engineer abuse that you're referring to.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
slavo71
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks Harry, appreciate that.
First mistake on my bill in 17 months, so can't complain too much Wink
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Looking back thru my bills, I've found a random call to123 from September that I know we didn't make ....at 4:45pm on a SUNDAY!  Bit late to claim it back now ...but how can I blame BT Openreach ? Can't believe that an engineer was out working at that time of day on a cabinet...so how else can it occur ? Hasn't happened previously or since ,so nothing to do with anything in the house Undecided
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

BT Engineers do sometimes work Sundays on faults

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.