Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged 50p for a call / number I never rang! Please credit my account

andyt1970
Grafter

Charged 50p for a call / number I never rang! Please credit my account

Hello.

So I just checked my past few monthly bills and instead of being charged the usual £20.61 for my October bill, I noticed I had been charged 50p for a call to "123", which having googled it shows up as the BT Speaking Clock.

Plusnet call charge.JPG

I did not call this number and have never called this number. Why would I? I have a watch, the time on my work laptop, on my personal desktop computer, on my mobile phone and also on the clock hung in this room.

I DID NOT CALL THIS NUMBER.

Please credit my account with the 50p you have charged me.

It may seem petty asking for 50p, but I didn't call this number and no one else in this property did, my son was at school and I was alone when the alleged call was made, and for 0:00:01 seconds too!

I have read this is common when Openreach engineers are working nearby (which they have been near here during October and November) - but I didn't make the call and so should not be charged.

Cheers.

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Charged 50p for a call / number I never rang! Please credit my account

@andyt1970 OK just calm down a bit, you didn't make the call, it was probably one of those pesky Openreach engineers, they do it all the time when they have other test numbers they can use but dialling 123 is easy and they don't care if someone gets charged. 

I'm sure Plusnet will refund the 50p.😀

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Low digit numbers can also be "dialled" by a fault on the line.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@Townman Unlikely to be only one occurrence in a billing period though, and the OP states that OR were in the area.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 97

No it's just me to the rescue.

Leave it to me @andyt1970 I will get this sorted out.  The link is https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=397293191 for the ticket.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team