cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge for switching phone and broadband provider?

cookertron
Dabbler

Charge for switching phone and broadband provider?

I've received an email from yourself stating, 
As you're moving your phone service before the end of your minimum term, you'll need to pay a charge for the remaining months.
Based on your transfer date, we've calculated this to be £54.25.
This charge may change if your transfer date changes and additional charges may apply if we receive notice that your broadband service is also transferring.

The reason I've switched my account because I was lead to believe that I had come to the end of my contract (2 years).
This is from your account summary page.
20/12/2012 BP01788097 Plusnet Unlimited £16.99(monthly) Complete

To me this suggest the contract started on 20/12/2012 for a period of 24 months which would bring it up to 20/12/14.
I'm not sure where you've calculated the remaining service or where I was able to find out this information before hand!?
Seems rather confusing to me. Can you clear this up as I really don't wish to pay £54.

Kind regards
Christina
15 REPLIES 15
catelliott
Grafter

Re: Charge for switching phone and broadband provider?

Hi there, I've had a look at your account and can see that your 24 month contract started on 19/08/13, and expires on 18/08/15, which is why you would be charged cancellation charges if you were to leave now.
Hope this clears things up Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Cat,
Would that suggest that Christina should be able to see some other contract product item with a later start date in the account summary?  That is something which replaced the Dec 2012 item with a new 24 month contract?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

catelliott
Grafter

Quote from: Townman
Would that suggest that Christina should be able to see some other contract product item with a later start date in the account summary?  That is something which replaced the Dec 2012 item with a new 24 month contract?

That's right, it looks like another contract has overridden the Dec 2012 one.
Christina, it might be worth sending me a PM so that I can give you more details about the contract Smiley
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I suspect that the problem is caused by the Account Details viewable in the Member Centre becomes a complete mess after you re-contract.
In my case, I ordered service with an 18 month minimum term on 23/11/2012, which then commenced on 2/1/2013.  This was around the time that Unlimited Fibre was launched and I switched to this on 2/2/2013 (and restarted the 18 month contract).
When the initial contract expired, I agreed to a further 12 month contract on 30/7/2014.
If you take a look at my details (attached) the expiry of the current contract isn't shown at all and there's an erroneous entry of 1/1/1970...
It's a complete mess and serves me no useful information at all!
cookertron
Dabbler

Is there anyway I can have this charge (cost) reduced? I accept that I was aware of my 24 month contract but felt I was able to switch provider because of the information displayed on the account summary page.
The £54 mentioned above is solely for the line rental and as I'm switching broadband provider too then I'm guessing I'll incur further costs. This could be close to £100 for a service I'll not be able to benefit from or use.
Perhaps an arrangement could be made whereby I pay the £54 for the line rental but the cost of the broadband dropped or is that asking too much?
Thank you for your feedback so far.

Kind Regards
Christina
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I've had a look at the account and I'm sorry to say I cannot see any improvements that can be made.
For the record, I've raised an issue about the portal showing different information to our database.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Tony,
That would make it rather difficult for any user to make an informed decision if the right information about the state of their contracts are not available to them on the user portal - especially where wrong information is present or key information omitted.
Is there any evidence of COTS being involved in the termination process - for example a request for a MAC or giving of notice of intent to terminate?  If this has been done via COTS one would have hoped that the user was advised during the call that they still had a contract "in play".  IIRC COTS calls are recorded...
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

My account is showing very similar. If I knew how to post an image showing the details I would! But here is a copy and paste of the text.
Totally misleading and inaccurate.
13/11/2013 BP01995400 Plusnet Unlimited £9.99(monthly) Complete

View order status
Upgrade
Data transfer usage
Update payment details
01/08/2012 - Deferred Setup £0.00(upon cancellation) Expired -
01/08/2012 - Deferred Hardware - Wireless 4 port router £0.00(upon cancellation) Expired -
01/01/1970 - Deferred Hardware - Wireless 4 port router £0(upon cancellation) Pending -
01/01/1970 - Plusnet Unlimited (Contracted) £0(upon cancellation) Written Off -
13/11/2013 - Cessation charge £0.00(upon cancellation) Cancelled
What's this?
01/08/2012 HW23979508 Thomson 4-port Wireless Router Bundle £0.00 Delivery

View order status
Set up guides
13/01/2014 N/A Talk Evenings & Weekends £0(monthly) Active
cookertron
Dabbler

Thank you for responding everybody, 
Townman has valid point about 'informed decisions' how can I take full responsibility of this if the information you're giving me is inaccurate or not up to date?
What are my options to avoid paying this huge cost please?
I'm a bit naive when it comes to all this contract business so any help is very greatly received. 

Christina
cookertron
Dabbler

I've just found something out which really has my goat up.  Plusnet is a brand of BT, I'm switching my broadband provider and phone rental to BT. Surely on that basis the contract is transferable or upgradable (as Plusnet is touted as BT's budget brand)?
So now I'm going to be paying off a contract I thought had expired so I can start a new contract with the same company.
I really can't believe it!
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Plusnet and BT Retail are separate entities, both owned by the BT Group.  They are not the same company.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Christina,
I've been thinking about this situation last night and I've updated your ticket and I believe I've sorted your issue, based on the information that we provided to you.
@newagetraveller I've raised this with our development team.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
cookertron
Dabbler

Tony,
Thank you for reviewing this for me and I can already see that changes have been made to the account (even on the account summary) to which I am very grateful, you're a superstar Smiley

Sincerely Christina
KatC
Grafter

Christina,
I'll let Tony know for you :D, thanks for keeping us updated!