cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge after contract ends

chrismullender

Charge after contract ends

My contract has finished and As I am moving back to Spain I went to cancel my broadband as  plusnet cannot provide it they slap you with a £30 charge
I checked other providers and non of them rip you off in this way
I have therefore got you some free publicity on this hidden  charge by contacting WATCH DOG as it's not on the legal stuff you post on the web  but hidden deep in the contract
So basically when you have been a loyal customer who then has had an outstanding issue with the internet for over 6 months and had 4 engineers at your property that you have hade to take time off for and it is not a fault on your property but a bt fault  and then get charged £30 to leave (it's not my fault you do not provide internet In Spain as BT do)
So I contacted the programme and if you are being stung as well drop them a line at BBC/WATCHDOG UNDER YOUR STORY
Also when you send in a complaint about this to plusnet you are ignored no one will return the email
Also put it on all the forums you can find and eventually people will get to know and stay away watchdog will reach millions so if 1% remember it then it was worth £30 better then there advert
Also had Sky knocked  on the door tonight offering free broadband for 12 months Huh
7 REPLIES 7
itsme
Grafter

Re: Charge after contract ends

I be very surprised you get far as I believe OFCOM was responsible in making sure that all providers using BT infrastructure got charged the cessation fee.
BT T&C state
As a condition of our service, you must, when you end the service request and use a migration authorisation code (MAC) or another recognised transfer process to move to another service provider. If you do not do this it will be a breach of these terms and conditions and you will have to pay a cease charge by way of compensation to us. The cease charge is as set out in the Tariff Guide. You will not have to pay this charge in the event that you move home and we are unable to provide the service at your new UK address. For more information go to http://www.bt.com/ceasecharge. This charge is compensatory and is not subject to VAT.

and you will find this with all other providers.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: chrismullender
it's not my fault you do not provide internet In Spain as BT do

BT provide ISP services in Spain using UK telecoms infrastructure and under the terms of their standard UK contract?  Really?
Also had Sky knocked  on the door tonight offering free broadband for 12 months

In Spain?
chrismullender

By in Spain  contact other ISP LIKE TALKTALK AND ASK THEM IF YOUR CONTRACT IS UP WE DO NOT CHARGE TO LEAVE
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I think you might be confusing the different arms of BT there..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
chrismullender

BT IS IN SPAIN look at pic
Phone TALKTALK  and ask them  answer is WE DO NO CHARGE IF YOU ARE OUT OF CONTRACT
NO Sky in the UK free for 12 months
Thanks for deleting  posts that you do not like that help other people being ripped of by you
I never implied that it was not in your t&c my complaint is that it is hidden deep in the small print and you are not informed in the legal stuff
James
Grafter

That is BT Global Services.  Not BT Retail.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

BT IS IN SPAIN look at pic

Correct, BT have business interests in Spain.  Not sure what this has to do with BT as an ISP in the UK though or the issue of the cease fee.  
Back on topic, from www.bt.com
When will the charge be raised?
This charge will be raised should you :-
Switch to another Broadband provider without following the standard Migration Authorisation Code (MAC) process.
Switch to another Broadband provider without following another recognised transfer process, when it applies.
Switch to a Cable provider.
Cease your Broadband completely.
Cease your Broadband and move outside of the UK.

My bold by the way...
Phone TALKTALK  and ask them  answer is WE DO NO CHARGE IF YOU ARE OUT OF CONTRACT

Talk Talk do not use a BT Wholesale product so it's completely up to them to do what they like.  
NO Sky in the UK free for 12 months

And this is relevant because?  You're moving to Spain are you not?

I never implied that it was not in your t&c my complaint is that it is hidden deep in the small print and you are not informed in the legal stuff

You are informed of the legal stuff - You tick a box to say that you read and agree to the T&Cs and it certainly isn't buried:
Ending your agreement
17. If you choose to end your Plusnet Broadband service within the minimum period, you will have to pay a termination charge by way of compensation to us for ending your service early. This charge will be calculated by multiplying the number of months remaining in your minimum term by a monthly early termination charge, as set out in the price guide. This charge will not be subject to VAT.
18. If you choose to end your agreement for the service and you do not use a recognised migration process you will be subject to the broadband cease charge as shown in the price guide. You will not have to pay this charge if you are moving home and we are unable to provide the service at the new UK address.

Again, my bold.  If there's one clause in the T&Cs you should always look at, it's the one on how to cancel!