cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing product - to include line rental?

paulh
Rising Star

Changing product - to include line rental?

I've just had my stupid BT bill for the line I never use except for broadband. 

I've been with PlusNet for ages & there doesn't seem much advantage to switching elsewhere, but I'm on a legacy product with a very low usage cap. 

I'd like to see if there's any PN product that gives me unlimited usage + line rental inclusive for about the same (or preferably less) than the current total I'm paying to BT & PN separately.

The product change page (https://www.plus.net/apps/account/change/) indicates "Broadband & Phone" but I'm assuming that means calls rather than line rental. 

Any help/pointers appreciated.

thx

6 REPLIES 6
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Changing product - to include line rental?

You could stay on your existing Plusnet account and move your phone to Pulse8 and pay only £13 per month for the line rental. You could also change Plusnet broadband package but because Plusnet use their excessive line rental price to cross subsidise the broadband you will not get as a good a broadband deal (but it will likely still be cheaper using Pulse8 for the line rental).

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@paulh The description "Broadband & Phone" actually means 'line rental' and (I think) no calls these days. Calls are either paid as made or there are optional "Calls Plans" which offer inclusive calls at particular times and to mobiles or international destinations.

As Jelv mentioned current unlimited broadband only prices are £2.50 more than the headline broadband +  phone figures. Assuming you are on a low cost exchange and if moving your phone to Plusnet is an option, rather than upgrading using the website product change path I suggest giving the Customer Options Team a call on 0800 013 2632 and see what they can offer for re-contracting.

David
paulh
Rising Star

thanks to both for replies. You blokes have been around even longer than me Smiley

jelv - I really need U/L BB now, my 10GB limit won't cut it in 2017 Cheesy

spraxyt  - hmm, well see the following:

I called CS and got what sounded like a decent deal, which would actually save me money over my current setup.

Total cost of my new service would be £21.49/month
Line Rental = £18.99/month -- fair enough
U/L Broadband = £2.50/month -- hang on ...

If I registered as a NEW customer, I'd be offered me the same products but for £19.99/month - same price for line rental but only £1/month for U/L BB.

So, after 12 years as a PN customer, I get to pay ~4.5% MORE than a new customer.

As I'm still within the cooling-off period, I've asked for CS to get back to me.

It's the same level of pee-taking as the insurance companies isn't it?

Not happy

spraxyt
Resting Legend

I need to make the assumption that your offer was for a 24 month contract, but on that basis your total price is cheaper than for a new customer. The logic is as follows.

For convenience let's ignore line rental since that is the same for both offers.

Your offer 24 months at £2.50; total price = £60.00

New customer 12 month at £1.00 + 12 months at £9.99 - £50.00 cash back; total price = £81.88

Of course a new customer is on a 12 month contract, so could leave after 12 months with a total price of (minus) £38.00 (allowing for cash back). Alternatively the new customer could call COT after 12 months and seek a re-contract deal - I've no idea what might be offered.

Clearly weighing up the pros and cons is not a simple matter, but the offer is perhaps not as unfair (compared with new-customer pricing) as it seems at first sight.

David
paulh
Rising Star

12 month contract.

Here's a screenshot of the "new customer" order process:

spraxyt
Resting Legend

The new customer contract length and pricing shown in the screenshot is consistent with the figures in my previous post.

However was the offer made to you based on a 12 month contract? I assumed 24 months because that is my own experience and has been what others post in the forums. Clearly if your offer was for a 12 month contract the 24 month total price comparison I worked out is not applicable. Sad

David