Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing bank accounts with the Switch Guarantee

Mark280
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: Changing bank accounts with the Switch Guarantee

I've just suffered exactly the same problem...
Current account switch date was April 10th - Plusnet were probably informed of the change of bank/Diect Debit details (informed by the bank/DD system) no later than April 8th (based on Plusnet email to me) - Plusnet monthly DD payment due was April 14th.
The Current Account Switch Service (and associated Direct Debit transfers) is supposed to be 'seamless' - except, not where Plusnet were involved!
The problem is, that Plusnet seemingly do not appear to understand how to correctly respond to the DD details change (when sent from the new bank itself, not from the customer).,
It's my understanding that the DD details sent to Plusnet (sent by the new bank) are already ready and active, ready to use (and the old DD reference is unchanged).
But - Plusnet appear to then, incorrectly, send the bank's own details back to the bank thus setting up an entirely new DD authority (that is simply not required) - and thus your Plusnet DD facility is rendered defunct (Plusnet's 'computer says no') for somewhere between 5~10 day (and all entirely unnecessary).
For example, my new bank account now shows 2 DD authorities under Plusnet's name/reference - the original authority (transferred by the Current Account Switch Service) which Plusnet should have continued/started to use from after the switch date (but now rendered redundant), and now also a second (new) authority that will no doubt be used ongoing.
Of my 8 different Direct Debits transferred, only Plusnet managed to mess-up.
After waiting in the customer support call queue for a near enough 30 minutes (!!!), I did get the £1.50 credited back (showing as a separate 'credit note' invoice).
But, unfortunately though, I am going to lose the £5 Halifax 'Reward' payment for the month (due to not having the expected requisite 2 Direct Debits paid out before the end of the calendar month).

Quote from: Townman
Hi Mary,
It really ought not be an issue.  The old bank ought to still process all payments against the existing mandates "through to" your new bank.  Between them, they will advise PlusNet of the new DD details... which ought to give PlusNet 4 weeks to process the change.
Kevin

Plusnet should be able to use the new details, sent to them by the new bank/DD system, immediately - there is no further setup required (with the bank), the DD is already authorised with the new bank/DD system, and ready to use.
The problem is Plusnet don't seem to realise this, and incorrectly/unnecessarily set up a completely new DD (and seemingly by using carrier pigeon too).
Martynormerod5
Dabbler

Hopefully a few more people having exactly the same problem and voicing it here will get the billing team to fix it! The support staff here are the saving grace though, plusnettony sorted everything out for me, he watched my account after I flagged it here and has actioned the correct credit note so I'll be back to where I should be financially.
My advice for you wrt the Halifax £5/month thing though Mark280 is give their direct debit transfer team a ring or email. I sent an angry email about it failing (before I realised it was just plusnet doing it wrong) and the Halifax team were brilliant, I got a phone call from them the next day and they credited my account with a bonus £10 as a "sorry it messed up"  Smiley I very much expect they'll make sure you get your £5 monthly reward and if you're lucky you'll get a little bonus too!
It is pleasant having the banks actually being nice these days.
Mark280
Grafter

Quote from: Martynormerod5

My advice for you wrt the Halifax £5/month thing though Mark280 is give their direct debit transfer team a ring or email. I sent an angry email about it failing (before I realised it was just plusnet doing it wrong) and the Halifax team were brilliant, I got a phone call from them the next day and they credited my account with a bonus £10 as a "sorry it messed up"  Smiley I very much expect they'll make sure you get your £5 monthly reward and if you're lucky you'll get a little bonus too!

Thanks Marty - I suspect the Halifax might even do that, just as you say - but I don't think I'll trouble them with it, as they have just paid me their rather decent £125 'incentive'  for the current account switch.

It is pleasant having the banks actually being nice these days.

Indeed - Plusnet could, perhaps, take a leaf out of that book, rather than being quite so ready to demand '...pay up (+extra), or else we will cut you off/impose restrictions in 14 days (...etc)' - which really just 'leaves a bad taste in the mouth', especially when the failing appears to be theirs alone.
Martynormerod5
Dabbler

Quote from: Mark280

Indeed - Plusnet could, perhaps, take a leaf out of that book, rather than being quite so ready to demand '...pay up (+extra), or else we will cut you off/impose restrictions in 14 days (...etc)' - which really just 'leaves a bad taste in the mouth', especially when the failing appears to be theirs alone.

I definitely agree with you on that one, I was pretty irritated when I received a pretty strongly worded demand to pay up before they cut me off! On the Halifax thing, definitely make sure you get your £5/month reward though as it's not your fault the 2 DD didn't work properly, the bank commits to making sure the DDs are transferred correctly so it's up to them to liaise with plusnet to fix it.
Mark280
Grafter

Quote from: Martynormerod5

I definitely agree with you on that one, I was pretty irritated when I received a pretty strongly worded demand to pay up before they cut me off! On the Halifax thing, definitely make sure you get your £5/month reward though as it's not your fault the 2 DD didn't work properly, the bank commits to making sure the DDs are transferred correctly so it's up to them to liaise with plusnet to fix it.

Nah - I appreciate your interest - but I'm going to leave it.
I had to 'jump through enough hoops' just getting the Halifax application/switch going - my online application repeatedly failed with an error message, and after resorting to a telephone application, they (the Halifax) initially failed to tell me for some time that I would have to visit a branch with proof of ID - so I'm taking a rest from all the chasing after things. Hopefully there should be other monthly £5 rewards to look forward to (though I do wonder/suspect that these 'rewards' won't be forever).
Coincidentally, today I received a letter from the Halifax Switching Team listing all the payments instructions (Direct Debits etc) that were transferred - which of course included the 'original' (now redundant/superseded) Plusnet DD - albeit, the letter was a bit superfluous, as I could already see all the DDs etc (including the unnecessary 'new' Plusnet DD) by logging in to internet banking.
Incidentally, I did (of course) raise a ticket/question with Plusnet - but, despite my trying to explain to them that they should not have needed to set up a 'new' DD at all, they continue to completely fail to acknowledge this, or any kind of mistake/failure on their part, and two different so called CSC 'Analysts' (LOL) just repeat that "...It can take up to 10 working days for a new direct debit to go active..." (albeit, as previously mentioned, they refunded the £1.50 card payment surcharge, after a phone call).
Martynormerod5
Dabbler

Quote from: Mark280
Incidentally, I did (of course) raise a ticket/question with Plusnet - but, despite my trying to explain to them that they should not have needed to set up a 'new' DD at all, they continue to completely fail to acknowledge this, or any kind of mistake/failure on their part, and two different so called CSC 'Analysts' (LOL) just repeat that "...It can take up to 10 working days for a new direct debit to go active..." (albeit, as previously mentioned, they refunded the £1.50 card payment surcharge, after a phone call).

That was another thing that annoyed me about this whole process, Halifax rang me right after my complaint & talked it through with me & told me the direct debit was setup on their end. I can't remember exactly how long after that before plusnet confirmed but it was at least a week. Just a really poor system that needs changing.
I'll leave this topic now though since I've been placated by the awesome forum support staff  Smiley good luck with any transfers of direct debit everyone..