cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing bank accounts with the Switch Guarantee

Sumatsupear

Changing bank accounts with the Switch Guarantee

This is a warning to anyone intending to switch their Bank current account using the switching service.
If you are planning to switch please make sure you either switch a couple of days after your Plusnet direct debit has been taken or a least two weeks before your direct debit is due. This is because Plusnet are unable to update their records quickly enough.
Plusnet will receive your new bank details but it can take them 10 working days to activate.
If you do not give them enough warning they will charge YOU for not being able to set THEIR systems up in time.
Out of the 15 direct debits I have Plusnet are the only company not to set the new bank details up. I have 2 direct debits that leave my account before Plusnet's payment and both of those have been set up in time. My bank has told me Plusnet's direct debit has been set up.
I can, therefore, only assume the fault lies with Plusnet's systems.
20 REPLIES 20
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Changing bank accounts with the Switch Guarantee

If you have to make a payment by card and are surcharged for doing so, all the similar cases I've seen on here have had the surcharge refunded.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

HI there,
I've had a look over your account and normally in this situation we'd offer to refund the non-dd charge as we know that it can take longer than expected for DD's to go active on an account. Can you let me know when you asked us to change your direct debit details over so I can look into this further as from what I can see we really weren't given much notice before your billing date of this change.
I've just created a ticket on your account too, you can view it at https://contactus.plus.net
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Can you let me know when you asked us to change your direct debit details over so I can look into this further as from what I can see we really weren't given much notice before your billing date of this change.
Surely, it shouldn't matter. If it's too close to the billing date then PN should just use the old DD details. Under the switch guarantee process, any requests to the 'old' bank will be redirected to the 'new' one by the banks. The problem seems to lie with PN's billing system (and I use that term loosely ;)), it changes the DD details and then discovers it hasn't got time to process the change before the billing date and so fails...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Sumatsupear

Thank you for you quick reply and the refund of the non-dd charge.
I didn't personally ask you to change dd details it was my bank as part of the switching service so I can't tell you the date all I did was pick a date to switch banks.
info here http://www.simplerworld.co.uk/Pages/About.aspx
Regards
Martynormerod5
Dabbler

Hi all,
I just want to add my annoyance with this failure in the Plusnet process as well. I have used the current account switching process twice in the last few months and both times Plusnet has been the ONLY direct debit to fail to transfer correctly. YOUR process is broke, please fix it! MisterW above was spot on, if the bank forwards the direct debit changeover request and it's within 14 days of the bill date then use the OLD details for that payment and switch the direct debit to the new details immediately after that. The old bank will forward the direct debit to the new bank and this should all be invisible to you.
Last time it failed I immediately paid via credit card and had the DD failure change refunded. This time when going through the "one off payment" process I was given the option to use the new direct debit details to pay it off so I went for that. It did not tell me that this would take ages and end up with me getting threatened with my service being cut off! I've now got charged a £5.76 "call barring charge" for this when I'VE done nothing wrong! I've just rung up support and Plusnet refused to refund this charge because apparently it was my fault for not knowing the payment via the new bank details wouldn't go through quick enough for me to avoid the charge. I guess this is a word of warning to others, you MUST use a credit/debit card if you DD fails.
I've really loved Plusnet for the 5ish years I've been with them, but this whole debacle lately has really annoyed me and I will be looking for deals with other providers.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You WILL get this refunded once one of the Plusnet team on here see your post.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Martynormerod5
Dabbler

Lol well that would be nice jelv but if they outright said they won't refund it on the phone (because it's apparently all my fault for not using their one off payment system right) I can't see why that would change now. I lodged an official complaint in the hopes that they fix their process. It would literally take a couple of hours work to fix as well, that's what's frustrating. The charge I incurred was due to the lack of a warning message on the one off payment screen, that could have a fix in minutes. The plus side of all this is the customer support answered the phone very quickly and listened to my exact problem so the call centre is still top-notch  Smiley Their hands are obviously tied by a rule that says they can't refund a call barring charge.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

As far as I can see, we haven't taken a call baring fee. However, there is a ticket on your account so I can monitor this until your billing date.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Martynormerod5
Dabbler

Thanks Tony, the charge is on my latest bill so I just got the warning a direct debit is about to be taken. I noticed since the amount was much higher than usual, I thought I'd accidentally rung some premium rate number  Tongue
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

You're right it is. I'll get it sorted as soon as it's processed.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Martynormerod5
Dabbler

Thanks very much, are you able to raise the general problem with the process? I know Plusnet isn't tying to grab money outta people with this so it'd be great to fix it for everyone  Smiley
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I've mentioned this to our billing team previously!
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
elkieluca
Grafter

I am a bit worried after reading this post as I'm switching banks later this week and it appears that my monthly payment with Plusnet is due at the same time.  I hope there isn't a problem with it as I'm nervous about switching in the first place.  I'm  only switching because the bank I've been with for 40 years has closed the branch near where I live.  Thought I'd mention it before hand just in case.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi Mary,
It really ought not be an issue.  The old bank ought to still process all payments against the existing mandates "through to" your new bank.  Between them, they will advise PlusNet of the new DD details... which ought to give PlusNet 4 weeks to process the change.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.