cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing account holder name at end of contract

anto135

Changing account holder name at end of contract

So I'm moving out of the house in which i live with my dad at the end of the month and plan to use a different provider for my new address. From what I've read you can't change who's name the account is in mid contract without cancelling and starting fresh (obviously incurring a cancellation fee). What I'm wondering is I believe there's a charge for cancelling at the end of your contract unless your changing provider, is this correct? Also if i were to cancel at the end of the contract so my dad could get a new policy so it's under his name would i still incur a charge. Also if this is the case, if he was to decide to change providers at the end of the contract would he simply be able to get a different provider in his name or does it need to be directly transferred under the same name for me not to be charged?
Another question, how do i check how long i have left running on my contract as it doesn't actually state it, the only way I can see of checking is to see my start date and guess if i was on an 18 or 12 month contract and work it out myself.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Kdog
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Changing account holder name at end of contract

If you cancelled outright now then yes you'd likely be charged contract and cessation fees. See the contract out and cancel outright and it'd be cease fee only. See the contract out, then get your dad to takeover the line as a new account and I wouldn't think there would be fees as the line wouldn't need ceasing, just like moving to another btw provider. Likewise if he picked another btw provider in his name it shouldn't charge. The cease fee only happens if the line is stopped or it's moved off btw, such as virgin, sky, talk talk etc.

Don't cancel your account-let the new provider-even Plusnet-take over the service and it'll cancel your account as part of the process.
Jonpe
Hero

@Kdog wrote:
See the contract out, then get your dad to takeover the line as a new account and I wouldn't think there would be fees as the line wouldn't need ceasing, just like moving to another btw provider.

I'm not sure that would work with PN @Kdog@anto135, how about migrating to your new provider as soon as your contract ends, then take their service with you to your new address.  Your dad can then sign up with whoever he 'likes the look of' as a new customer thereby benefiting from all the new-customer offers out there.  This way both of you will get the benefit of being new customers, and no cease charge should apply.

Kdog
Aspiring Pro

Not sure if there'd be something in terms of taking over a pnet line with a new pnet account but I would have thought it'd be ok, like if a couple splits up the person staying in the house can start their own account. I know you can't take an account but the line should be fine.

I'm basing it on when I moved house a few years back-it was an exchange but between pnet and sky (the other persons provider) the order got messed up royally. In the end we ended up doing a line takeover on the sky line, and the other person signed a new account up with sky as a 'new' customer on my old pnet line. I was told at the time that the contract status of the existing sky line wouldn't make a difference my side as it'd just trigger the regular cancellation on whoever's account it was-the person taking over the line doesn't have to be the same as the person holding the current service, otherwise there'd be no slamming. So if the dad starts a new service with anyone it would cancel the existing service for the op.

Suppose either works really. I would have just thought it'd mean less downtime doing a takeover, otherwise the dad will have to wait for the new service to move before being able to place their own order whereas taking over the pnet line there will keep service running just like a migration.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there. I'm sorry to hear you're leaving us.

What I'm wondering is I believe there's a charge for cancelling at the end of your contract unless your changing provider, is this correct?

That's correct. There would be a cessation fee of £30.

Also if this is the case, if he was to decide to change providers at the end of the contract would he simply be able to get a different provider in his name or does it need to be directly transferred under the same name for me not to be charged?

The account with the new provider won't need to be in the same as the account with us.

It's worth noting that the cessation fee may still apply depending on how the new provider takes over the service. More info on this can be found over here: https://www.plus.net/help/my-account/charges-for-removing-broadband/

Another question, how do i check how long i have left running on my contract as it doesn't actually state it, the only way I can see of checking is to see my start date and guess if i was on an 18 or 12 month contract and work it out myself.

I've confirmed that for you over here.

With all that said, there's another option if they're wanting to stay with us. I'd recommend asking them to create a new account in their own name at www.plus.net using a different landline number and we'll essentially takeover our own line.

Recommend doing this at the end of your contract to avoid any early termination fees.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet