Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Internet Provider Near End of Contract email Confusion

Sleepboot
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Changing Internet Provider Near End of Contract email Confusion

I have received an email reminding me that my Plusnet contract ends in May. It says that I can transfer early, without any penalty, if I call them & give 14 days notice. But what is the right order.

I had thought that the new provider contacted the old provider to ensure the service wasn't accidentally terminated, suspended  or something else equally horrible.

So to transfer before my official end of contract at no charge do I need to contact Plusnet and, if so, when?

Do I

1) sign up for another provider asking them to connect 14 days later then phone Plusnet to tell them what I have done

or 2) Contact Plusnet before I do anything else 

or 3) Sign up elsewhere & I don't need to contact Plusnet at all?

5 REPLIES 5
Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Re: Changing Internet Provider Near End of Contract email Confusion

Normally the third option but if you’ve been told you can leave without termination fees before your contract ends, then you’ll need to call to make sure no termination fees are added when the cancellation happens. Personally in this scenario I’d do option 1.

Sleepboot
Grafter

Yes option one is what I would have guessed but it isn't standard practice. I attach a copy of the relevant bit of the email

Plusnet.jpg

Sleepboot
Grafter

I guess that it all might be to give the retentions department their moment.

Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

@Sleepboot wrote:

I guess that it all might be to give the retentions department their moment.

That and also to ensure they’ll mark your account in the appropriate way to waive termination fees I suspect 

nickroyle
Hooked

If you have (as I have!) received an email to say I can leave without early termination fees because of the increase in pricing is that email legally binding and over-rule anything else in my contract regarding early termination fees?