cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change direct debit date

danyalburke

Change direct debit date

Hello,
I was wondering if anything has changed with regards to being able to change the billing date for an account. Last I read on this forum was that Plus Net were hoping to upgrade software some time this year and this might be a feature. Has that happened? Would like to be a guinea pig if that's an option.
Would like my billing date to be the 1st, for peace of mind.
33 REPLIES 33
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Change direct debit date

Unfortunately that functionality isn't in place yet  Undecided
I can assure you we are still working on it but I honestly couldn't give you a date when I expect it to be in place.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Polstar

This should really be a priority for the company. I have managed to change all my DDs to the 1st of the month and it's ridiculous that a company like yours does not allow it! So disappointing and one reason why I would not recommend PlusNet to anyone.
rogerdowen

I'm a new customer - but I'm not sure for how long I will be. Like a majority of people it's critically important  for direct debit payments to be taken at the beginning of the month.
However Plusnet just sent me an email saying they will collect payment on 24th.
This is no use to me as there's no money left in the bank after the first week in any month!  Which is precisely why I have set up all my DD's to come out of the bank on the first few days of the month.
Spent most of the day waiting in the phone que only to be told that the DD collection date cannot be changed (although this is being looked into?)
Apparently, they have been looking into this since 2009!
So, HarryB thank you for pointing out the rapid response capability of Plusnet  (yarn, think I'll have a little lie down................................
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Suggestion: Open a second bank account and set all your DDs to come from that account. Work out the total of all the DDs each month and set up an automatic transfer in to the account. Simples!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Tomvirgin
Hooked

I find it ridiculous how plus net can't change this?
There is a reason that my DDs come out at the start of the month and having to pay at the very end just does not work, you keep sending my account to overdraft and can't do anything about it?! Come on plus net sort it out, after 2 weeks of no service in deffinitely not happy with this response
I've seen on here they could do it back in 2009 with the right customer service person so why can't it be done now?
Mav
Fixes: 515

Sorry, but I can't see how it's PlusNet's fault if you go overdrawn unless they are taking more than you are being billed for?
Whether it's taken out at the beginning or end of the month the money should still be available. spoon whittler's suggestion is a good one and I use it not for PN payments but for to repay a loan to my bank where the payment is due on the 1st but the money enters my account fortnightly.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Tomvirgin
Hooked

While its a good suggestion it's a lot more work than plus net changing when they take payment, plus when the bill changes monthly it's not as predictable as you might think
mallybee

Hi all.
I too will be leaving PlusNet at the end of my contract if they haven't sorted the DD issue out.  I want all of my DD's coming from my account at the start of the month.
People have suggested setting up direct debits to other accounts and the PlusNet payment coming out of that one.  This is a simple solution but we shouldn't have to do that.  What if you only have one bank account?
Has PlusNet given the specific reason why they won't allow us to change DD's?  If they haven't I would like to know what it is?
Another option PlusNet could allow is when setting up your account, being able to specify the date your payment comes out and adding on any extra cost to your first bill.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Would it's highly probable to cock things up and your billing is likely to be wrong for months afterwards be a good enough reason?
Tomvirgin
Hooked

Personally I don't believe that is a good enough reason, if any other company can change its DD date even with a similar type of contract I really don't see why plus net wouldn't be able to do it correctly.
At the very least they could warn people when signing up the the DD will come out at the beginning of the contract and isn't changeable, if I'd known that was the case I wouldn't have signed up until the start of the next month
jelv
Seasoned Hero

They've tried it in the past using their current billing system with the results I've suggested. So now they won't attempt it.
We have been told that this will be possible in the new system - but God knows when that will be completed!
boatboy

I agree this facility needs to be updated so we can change direct debit dates and the inflexibility is just not good enough.
I called them today and the update as it's going to be a couple more months before direct debit dates  can be changed and only when their new finance system comes into place.
No use for now. Plusnet, please sort out this basic but important issue.
lpup1708

Response from a member of Plusnet staff below.  Have to say I am flabbergasted with how they operate their dd system.  They seem to be the only company I know of that doesn't let you choose a date or have a range of dates at various times of the month so you can pick a fixed date.

Also the 3 exact working day bit amuses me.  If they have a fixed date the working day bit becomes irrelevant as long as they send their bills out more than 5 days before.  In my case they've sucessfully managed to have their payments one side or the other of my salary date depending on where the weekend falls.  

They don't loose anything by being reasonable over direct debit collection and notice and have a lot to gain.  

I'm really sorry that we can't move the billing date on your account at the moment - that's due to our billing system becoming a little antiquated in all honesty. A newer billing engine is currently in testing and we're hoping for a roll out in the not too distant future, but at the moment there's no functionality for us to move the dates.  Your bill is generated on the 15th of every month and we then give you 3 days notice before requesting payment via the direct debit - as the 15th April was a Friday this meant that the payment was not due until 20th with the weekend taken into consideration. 3 days is quoted in the Direct Debit Guarantee we emailed to you on 18/02/16 and I can only really apologise if you don't feel this is long enough.  

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello there. I'm sorry that we can't change your bill date. It's set at when the first of your services goes live. I appreciate that sometimes it's not ideal especially if it falls in the middle of the month.

As the broadband service is linked to the bill date, by changing this it will cause complications with our radius server. Therefore, our system is currently setup in a way that makes it not possible to change it.

Hopefully our new billing engine won't take too much longer to be implemented.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button