cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change account holder

CX
Grafter

Change account holder

Could you please tell me what is required in order to change the account holder's name for a Plusnet account.
5 REPLIES 5
gofaster
Rising Star

Re: Change account holder

When others have asked for this seemingly simple thing it has been a case of "Computer says No"
It seems the only way that PlusNets systems can cope is to completely cancel the account and create a new one.  Crazy
But who knows, maybe the much promised but never appearing "new" accounts system will allow this - just wait a few more years and I'm sure it will possible.  Undecided
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Hi CX,
Due to Ofcom requirements, we must not transfer an account from one person to another. The only exception to this is when the customer is deceased. If a change of account holder is required then a new account will have to be set up to take over the old one at the property and any cancellation fee's or outstanding balances paid.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I, for one, would be grateful for a link to the Ofcom requirement that you refer to?
Your reply seems to be contrary to a response mentioned in this article
<Snip>
The only outstanding question remaining for me is why were you not allowed simply to change the name on the account in the first place.
<Snip>
Furthermore it doesn't appear to be a standard contract term across the industry.  
I asked Plusnet to clarify.
A spokesperson for Plusnet added:
"A Plusnet account comes with a security feature which unfortunately prevents a change in ownership. This means if somebody new wishes to take over the account a brand new account will be created and the old account closed.  Plusnet would like to apologise to ZB for the inconvenience this process has caused and will be removing any outstanding fees as a gesture of goodwill. The experience our customers receive is very important to us and we will be reviewing this process going forward. We would advise any customers who believe they have been affected by this issue to contact us directly and we will deal on a case by case basis until a new system is in place."

This would suggest that the restriction has nothing to do with Ofcom but is perhaps related to your ageing backend systems or that BT don't have a process for changing end user details?
I suggest the OP sends a query to Ofcom regarding their mandated policy regarding this restrictive practice, as advised by your ISP...
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Hi pwatson,
Thank you for raising this query. There are certain sections in the Ofcom General Conditions, especially around metering and billing, which govern how we bill our customers.
Therefore unless there are exceptional circumstances we require a brand new account to be set up if someone is wanting to set up a new connection at a premises where there is already a Plusnet service active.
This is to ensure there is a clear distinction between one customer closing there account and another customer starting there account.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Your reply doesn't answer my question...  Please specify which Ofcom GC requires you to close an account and does not allow you to perform a minor administrative change.  The link might make it clear why it doesn't apply to Talk Talk :). You'll note as well that when customers contact you regarding a name change that they are not requesting a "new connection where one if already active"

It's also interesting that your reply suggests that the PN spokesman quoted in the linked article lied?