Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cessation fee and next steps after contract expiration

FIXED
Aroma_Margot
Hooked

Cessation fee and next steps after contract expiration

Dear PlusNet Community,

My 18-month broadband contract is now coming to an end (4th Oct 2018, I believe) and I'd like to understand what happens next, given that I'm thinking of switching to another provider.  I've already established that I'd probably have to pay £30 cessation fee as I'm considering switching to Vodafone (I'm an existing customer), so leaving BT network.  Also, should I let PlusNet know that I'd like to change the provider and if so, give a notice on a specific date?  My understanding is that I should provide the new provider with a provisional contract start date (5th October in my case) and let them do the work.  I'm not certain, however, what should I do at my end to smoothly end the "relationship" with PlusNet?  There's been some confusion associated with this topic and a lot of previous queries raised by other customers, hence I'd be most grateful if someone could provide clarification on that.  The reason I'm asking on the forum is that I'd like to avoid hanging on the phone, unless completely necessary.

Thank you very much in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Cessation fee and next steps after contract expiration

Fix

@Aroma_Margot

All switches/transfer between ISPs (with the exception of Virgin Media) are led by the new ISP. It is their task to co-ordinate the transfer of services and notify the losing ISP.

So you don't need to contact the losing ISP if you are just switching at the end of a minimum term contract (as you are). Indeed doing so can cause issues for you as it confuses the losing ISP more often than not..

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Aroma_Margot
Hooked

Thank you so very much, @SpendLessTime, you've helped me a lot.  I think I'll just go ahead and start the procedure then - hope it'll go as planned Smiley

Again, many thanks for the clarification!

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Aroma_Margot

Good luck with the switch. Hope it goes through painlessly and Vodafone offer you the start date you require.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Hello @Aroma_Margot 

I can see @SpendLessTime as answered you query and is absolutely correct!

The process is called a 'Working Line Takeover' and your new provider will notify us that you intend to transfer your services across to them, which at that point a transfer date would be agreed upon with both providers.

Minimum time frame for a Working Line Takeover order is 10 working days notice, as this is an Ofcom regulation.

Hope this information helps.

Aroma_Margot
Hooked

Thank you very much indeed, @Dumbledore, for confirming this - it is much appreciated!