cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cessation charge

purcell91

Re: Cessation charge

I have the same problem.
I  switched my phone and broadband from PlusNet to EE in Jan 15. EE handled the switch over. I've received a bill from PlusNet saying that I am being charged by £30 cessation fee.
This does not seem right to me.
purcell91

I raised a ticket about the £30 cease charge and got this reply:
"The cessation charge was applied as we required an engineer to visit the exchange to cease the services on the line when you switched providers."
We switched to EE, which from the thread above, is an LLU provider so we didn't require a MAC code and should not be charged a cease fee.
Also not sure why an engineer was required to visit the exchange either????
Please can someone from plusnet respond to this or contact me?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The exchange visit is because an engineer has to physically disconnect your line from the BT equipment to the EE LLU equipment
As to why you have been charged I have no idea as the whole thing is completely beyond me
purcell91

Thanks for explaining the exchange visit Oldjim.
Plusnet just send you a one liner and it's as clear as mud......... They should clearly explain the reasons why they are charging this fee. From reading info on this forum I don't think we should be charged this fee anyway
catelliott
Grafter

Hi there,
We charge the cessation fee as the charge for the engineer to go out and physically disconnect the service is passed on to us. Rest assured, however, that we do not make a profit from this charge Smiley
There's some more information about cessation charges here:
http://www.plus.net/support/customer_service/billing/cessation_charges.shtml
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Oh no , not again, I thought we'd sorted this once and for all
Quote from: JoshuaC
Good morning,
@foragin
We do not and should not charge you a cease fee for moving to an LLU provider.
Its a recent change of protocol on the front line, sales,customer options and It is obviously taking a while for agents to get a hold of this.
If you need more information on moving away  I can get a experienced agent to give you a ring.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

purcell91

PlusNet are now saying:
"I investigated this issue further and I confirm the cease fee is applicable, as the line has migrated off the BT network in order for you to join an LLU provider in this instance the £30 cease fee is correct"
I don't understand the reason why other people on this forum who transferred to EE from PlusNet have had this fee refunded but we have not. Is there something different about our transfer?
g1000
Grafter

Good morning,
@foragin
Its a recent change of protocol on the front line, sales,customer options and It is obviously taking a while for agents to get a hold of this.
If you need more information on moving away  I can get a experienced agent to give you a ring.

So, I read this some days ago and had in mind a switch to LLU as a result. I ring cancellations today to request a MAC code, and straight away the agent warns that I will be subject to a £30 fee if I migrate to a provider who doesn't use a MAC code.
I come back here now to check, and see two of your colleagues have posted here giving conflicting information. Can someone from Plusnet please confirm definitively:
1. Whether a move to LLU, e.g. Sky or TalkTalk, is now classed as a "recognised migration process" referred to here https://www.plus.net/info2/legal/index.html and therefore exempt from a cease fee?
2. When exactly is a customer "without a contract" referred to here http://www.plus.net/support/customer_service/billing/cessation_charges.shtml#appliesWhen and therefore exempt from the cessation fee? If I am in month 13, 14, 15 etc after a 12 month contract finishes am i "without a contract"?
3. Also why are Plusnet trying to charge me £5.50 cancellation charge, when I have paid 12 months of my 12 month contract and it should therefore be £0 (and when I had paid 11 months you said £11.00 cancellation charge, when it should have been £5.50, one month left early termination charge)?
If 1) and 2) are answered in a sticky and even clarified on the webpages linked above, then it will give a definitive answer, peace of mind and easy reference for support dealing with customers who have to contest this charge.
It's one nightmare after another ever since I joined Plusnet, totally amateurish and unprofessional. I can't wait to be free from it all.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Quote from: g1000
Good morning,
@foragin

I come back here now to check, and see two of your colleagues have posted here giving conflicting information. Can someone from Plusnet please confirm definitively:
1. Whether a move to LLU, e.g. Sky or TalkTalk, is now classed as a "recognised migration process" referred to here https://www.plus.net/info2/legal/index.html and therefore exempt from a cease fee?

What was the conclusion to this debacle? Does JoshuaC's proclamation stand or has it been countermanded?
I raised a Question (reference 104004297) yesterday and am being told that "You would be charged the £30 cancellation fee if you transfer to SKY Broadband as SKY offer LLU service in your area and therefore will not require or use a MAC"
g1000
Grafter

No response, no conclusion.
Plusnet have too many shady areas in their T&Cs, that always seem to go against the customer. There is no appetite to clarify or resolve them from what I can see.
With the new migration process coming, I wonder what they will do.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We charge when certain cease codes are sent through, these represent where the line has actually been ceased rather than migrated and match the ones that we get charged for.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Quote from: g1000
With the new migration process coming, I wonder what they will do.

What "new migration process" ?  Huh
Oldjim
Resting Legend

the one where there isn't a Mac - comes in on July 1st I think 20th June
This rant explains http://www.revk.uk/2015/02/ofcom-drop-ball.html
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Thank you Oldjim. I found some info on the ThinkBroadband site about "Gaining Provider Led Notification of Transfer (GPL NoT)" and it all looks as if it will be prone to snafu! June and July will be best avoided for switching ISP or Telephone provider.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I would agree with that