cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cessation charge

Kirstiilouu

Cessation charge

I am moving home in 2 weeks and my partner already has a BT internet deal plus tv package for the same price I pay for my current Plusnet broadband. I've been told that I will have to pay the £30 charge even though I'm only cancelling because I don't need it anymore and the property already has a broadband line. Surely this isn't right? Can Plusnet (who pride themselves on great service) really charge us to cancel an account that we don't have need for anymore? If I could I would carry the account over (which I've done when I've moved before) but it's no longer required.
2 REPLIES 2
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Cessation charge

@Kirstiilouu wrote:
I've been told that I will have to pay the £30 charge even though I'm only cancelling because I don't need it anymore and the property already has a broadband line. Surely this isn't right?

The 'cessation charge' is levied by BT (who supply the Broadband service to Plusnet),  Plusnet simply pass on this charge to the end user.  There is quite a bit of debate about the relevance of thecharge in today's market. BT have said they are reviewing the charge, but until they do there is no option

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/bills-and-utilities/broadband/bt-stings-broadband-customers-31-exit-fee/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Cessation charge

Hi there.

As MauriceC has advised, the cessation charge covers the cost of removing broadband from the line. This can be the case if you move to a provider that doesn't use the BT Wholesale network or your line is ceased altogether.

More info can be found over here

I hope this helps clarify things.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet