cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cessation charge

sandpiper30

Cessation charge

I have recently switched my phone and broadband from PlusNet to EE.
EE handled the switch over.
I have been informed by PlusNet that I am being charged by them a £30 pound cessation charge.
I queried the charge as I was never asked for a MAC code, and EE claim that a MAC code would not have used for the switch even if I had provided one.
PlusNet claim that "The £30 cessation charge applies when moving away from the BT Network".  They also claim that "Orange/EE have migrated their network to the LLU network as used by Sky/TalkTalk and as such a MAC is no longer needed by EE".
So basically, they are charging me because the line has been switched to LLU.
Are they in the right to do this?
32 REPLIES 32
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Cessation charge

No they aren't
I really thought that this has been sorted
This isn't acceptable in my opinion
sandpiper30

If its not acceptable (and doesn't sound like it is) how should I pursue the issue?
I've already raised a 'ticket' with PlusNet, who replied by just giving the reasons for the charge and pointing me to their T & C's.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Wait for it to be picked up here
In the meantime
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,132169.msg1153766.html#msg1153766
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,131019.msg1142802.html#msg1142802
Just to clarify - by isn't acceptable I was referring to the fact that the support staff still can't get it right
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Not another one! I'd be really interested to understand where this is going wrong? And possibly so would OFCOM...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi sandpiper30,
I'll contact you regarding this shortly.
Matty

EDIT: I've left a message with someone in your property giving the ticket reference as a point of contact. I have cancelled your account and written off the five extra days of broadband owed as it amounted up to a tiny amount of money.
The cessation fee shouldn't apply, however on this occasion it was agent error rather than our systems giving the incorrect cessation code. I've fed this back, though I'm secretly a little bit relieved that it wasn't an issue on a grander scale at the same time.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
foragin

Hi. I have the same problem, I've just asked if I can move to see and have been told that there is a £30 charge for not using a Mac code. Could you tell me if this is correct please?
Thanks.
Joshc
Grafter

Good morning,
@foragin
We do not and should not charge you a cease fee for moving to an LLU provider.
Its a recent change of protocol on the front line, sales,customer options and It is obviously taking a while for agents to get a hold of this.
If you need more information on moving away  I can get a experienced agent to give you a ring.
foragin

Fantastic, could my you ask an adviser to call me on my mobile please?
Joshc
Grafter

Sure thing,
I  will get some one to ring you as soon as possible Smiley
23littlelane

Sorry to piggyback on this thread, but I am facing exactly the same issue.
Phone Plusnet in mid December to ask about exit fees and need for MAC and was told, no exit and no need for MAC. Switched providers, cancelled direct debits after the last bill and now being pursued for £30 cessation fee...
Can someone help with this, it's really very frustrating - the 'you've got 14 days to pay or be passed to a debt recovery company' email I got today was the limit!!
The call number is 98125981.
ETA: would also love to know what the £10 historic invoice charge was about
OutofDate

To return this thread to it's origins - a handover from Plusnet to EE and all that it entails - here's what happened in my case.
The handover took place on 13th January and went so smoothly you couldn't see the join, so when the cease charge landed a week later, like an albatross flopping into my  morning coffee, I was surprised. It spoiled my coffee.
I queried it with Plusnet. Here's the meaty part of the reply:
"The £30 cessation fee is applicable in this case because the line was ceased before the transfer took place. It could be that the new provider performed a working line takeover order as opposed to using the MAC to transfer the service. This would have momentarily ceased your line."
So I queried it with EE:
"I can advise you that we took over the provisioning of your services by
the approved industry process and the line wouldn't have been ceased
prior to the take over. If the line was ceased prior to the transfer
being complete, the transfer would have rejected."

Now to my bleary layman's eyes, these two statements contradict each other.
Most, probably all, of us who switch ISP have no way of knowing what happens or doesn't happen during the handover and, what's more, we shouldn't need to know.
The way broadband+phone packages are priced to attract new customers, those people with more sense than money will switch regularly. Given the limited number of providers, it's possible that a customer lost one year will be back the next. I don't see how it makes commercial sense to make the switching process so messy and antagonistic.
And just when you think the contradictions are at an end.....
I put in a claim to EE for the £30 as part of their "We'll buy out your contract up to £100" scheme. I wasn't hopeful and my fears were confirmed:
"Our contract buyout scheme doesn't cover this fee."
A day later another email told me my account would be credited with £30 in the next 30 days.

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: OutofDate
The handover took place on 13th January and went so smoothly you couldn't see the join, so when the cease charge landed a week later, like an albatross flopping into my  morning coffee, I was surprised. It spoiled my coffee.

I wouldn't wish an albatross in the coffee of my worst enemies.
In all seriousness, I'm glad they refunded the £30. I've had a look into the raw data of the order and there was a chargeable cease involved. It doesn't look like they've used the MAC key. Any idea if they've confirmed whether they've used it or not?
Matty
OutofDate

No Matty - I had it all ready and waiting, but they didn't ask for it. On reflection, I should perhaps have given it to them anyway, so that it was their choice not to use it.
Just to clarify something - does a handover not involving a MAC always cause a cease? If so, others with the sense to do their research before (and not, like me, after) deciding to switch will be forewarned.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It depends on the nature of the order placed, not necessarily all of them. There are changes being implemented by Ofcom soon to make it clearer what will be chargeable, and the way ISP's carry out migrations to different providers.