Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cessation charge - please clarify

FIXED
Ihu55ain
Hooked

Cessation charge - please clarify

Dear Plusnet

Is the unfair cessation charge really payable for ceasing plusnet services or not? 

My account summary shows the following 

- - Cessation charge £30.00(upon cancellation) Activated What's this?

When searching your online help it states:

“Your question: Cessation

Sorry to hear you’re thinking of leaving us. Can we tempt you to stay with the great perks available to you as a Plusnet customer?

If not, you can normally see if an early termination comes with charges by checking your Account Summary page. Under the cost column you’ll see something that looks like £XX.XX (upon cancellation). If that number is zero, you won’t have to pay an early termination fee for that item.”

However other posts contradict this (e.g. https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/Cessation-charge-quot-active-quot/m-p/1579858#M327459)

Please clarify which is correct. Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: Cessation charge - please clarify

Hi @Ihu55ain, thanks for your post and Welcome to the Community!

Cessation charges would only apply if you were within the minimum term of your agreed upon contract - it's by no means a blanket charge that's applied to anybody ceasing their services if they were out of contract.

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Sorry to contradict but the Cessation Charge has nothing to do with being in contract or not.

This is a specific charge for 'CEASING' a broadband service, that is stopping all broadabnd on a phone line rather than migrating via the standard process to another ISP.

The main time this comes into play is if a user migrates from Plusnet (or any othe provider using BT (Openreach) lines) to a Cable provider such as Virgin Media using a totally different physical local network.  Openreach levy this charge and most (if not all) ISPs pass the charge on to their customers.

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for your reply @w23  - I've clearly gotten mixed up with the sentence:

If not, you can normally see if an early termination comes with charges

@Ihu55ain - Are you completely ceasing (i.e not moving to another provider) the line?

If so, regardless of what the Member Centre or other literature says - I've checked and we would not charge/enforce a cessation fee. (It was done away with around 2 years ago)

**EDITED to add further information that we would not charge a cessation fee**

Ihu55ain
Hooked

I'm actually planning to move home soon and despite my loyalty Plusnet is offering my current fibre package (albeit slower speed guarantee) for more cost at the new property. Therefore I am leaving my options open including cancelling or moving to another ISP
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

@OskarPapa , are you saying that the cessation charge is definitetly no longer applicable?

It still clearly shows in my account summary, perhaps this needs to be updated:actsum.JPG

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Thanks for getting back to us @Ihu55ain 

If you’re out of contract and wanting the new customer deal, there should be nothing stopping you signing up a new account online at your new address then requesting we close your existing account on your move out date.

Although ideally it’d be a better experience to keep your account the same so I’d be happy to arrange a call back from our house moves team to discuss this further and see if there’s anything we can do. Feel free to PM me the best contact number to get you on and a rough time when you’d be free for call if you’d want to go ahead.

@w23 Yes, we no longer charge a cessation fee as of September 2018. It’s likely still showing in the account summary from the legacy days, but we won’t charge this as final fees are worked out automatically now and the cessation fee isn’t a charge the new billing engine knows about. We’ll pass feedback onto the appropriate people.

Hope this helps. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Ihu55ain
Hooked

@OskarPapa  This contradicts what you stated earlier. So can you confirm 100% the cessation charge no longer applies (in every circumstance)? If so then the Products & Services section of the Account Summary should reflect this.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@Ihu55ain As per Owen's edit and my response, we don't charge a cessation fee anymore because it isn't a fee the billing system knows about since September 2018 and feedback will be passed on regarding this.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet