cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cessation Charges when moving to Sky

thegolfer

Cessation Charges when moving to Sky

Hi,

I have been with Plusnet for just over a year and recently moved to Sky (07/06/2016). I noticed my final bill had a cessation fee of £30.00 so I contacted customer services at Plusnet and was told this is correct. Having read some previous posts regarding this matter I think customer services are wrong. Hope someone might be able to clarify this and help me resolve the issue,

Kind regards    thegolfer

7 REPLIES 7
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Cessation Charges when moving to Sky

Hello there. If Sky use LLU equipment in your exchange, the transfer would then require the BTWholesale broadband equipment that we use to be ceased. The cessation charge of £30.00 covers this.
More information can be found here:
http://www.plus.net/support/customer_service/billing/cessation_charges.shtml
Hope this helps
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Oh no! The cessation charge fiasco again! To quote this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/30-00-Cessation-charge/td-p/1305821/highlight/true

The £30 cease fee is only applicable if the new provider doesn't use a recognised method of migration.
It sounds like you may have been quoted something that used to be advised before some things changed, where we were usually charged the cease fee when customers moved on to the MPF network.
Essentially, if the new provider migrates the services (Keeping the existing number) you shouldn't be charged.
However if they do a 'working line takeover' this would not be a recognised method of 'migration' as basically it would cease our line (Causing us to be charged, therefore we would pass the charge on to your) and re-provide the line with a new number as part of the same order.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

thegolfer

Hi MisterW thank you for replying.

Just to confirm Sky did migrate the services keeping my existing number. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Then I'd query it again with Plusnet  I believe Enough us wrong about transferring to LLU incurring a cease charge. If all else fails then complain.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Unfortunately looking at the order, a chargeable cease code was generated and we were charged for the service to be stopped.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
thegolfer

Hi HarryB many thanks for responding to my post.

Would you know why a chargeable cease code was generated when both my phone and broadband services were transferred together on 07/06/2016 and I kept my existing number ?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

You should also ask sky how they did the transfer ?

The main problem here is that BT generate the cease and you have no means to query it directly with them ? If they generated a chargeable cease that means they're getting paid twice, once by Sky to connect and also by Plusnet to disconnect. You might try OFCOM but I doubt they'll get involved