cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cease fee when cancelling due to mid-term price increase

mark_otbc

Cease fee when cancelling due to mid-term price increase

Hi - I have had the email to inform of price increases mid-term and I wish to cancel my contract as part of this, but I am being informed that I will have to pay a £30 cease fee?

I'm not wanting to move to another supplier so I can't switch.

I'm not sure this is fair? My understanding is if prices are increased, I should be able to leave penalty free - by charging me £30 to leave, surely this is unfair and tantamount to threatening you with a charge if you don't stay?

Any info would be greatly appreciated - BT etc don't charge their cease fee when cancelling mid-term so I'm not sure why Plusnet would...or have I just spoken to a couple of advisors who aren't completely aware of this?

Regards

5 REPLIES 5
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Cease fee when cancelling due to mid-term price increase

Hi there.

As the cease fee doesn't form part of your contract minimum term I'm afraid it is applicable depending on how your line is taken over. It'll only apply if your broadband circuit belonging to BT Wholesale is ceased at the exchange.

Common reasons for this include moving to a provider who uses their own equipment, or cancelling your service altogether. More info can be found over here: https://www.plus.net/help/my-account/charges-for-removing-broadband/

In your case I'm afraid it is applicable if you're not moving to another provider. We'd advise of this possible charge in the welcome e-mail when you join us and also if you re-contract we advise of it.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mark_otbc

I don't understand though how it can be seen as fair practice when the terms state we're able to leave 'penalty free', but then we incur a penalty for leaving?

Fair practice is surely to allow people who want to leave because of the changes, to leave. If you are really saying we have to pay £30 to leave, surely this is tantamount to forcing people to stay?

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

"It'll only apply if your broadband circuit belonging to BT Wholesale is ceased at the exchange." But if BT no longer levy a cease charge surely they wouldn't charge Plusnet and hence Plusnet shouldn't charge the customer.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I think you will find that BT Openreach or Wholesale or somebody do levy a cease charge and that is what PlusNet pass on. It may be that other ISPs do not pass this charge on.

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

I think that you are right. They seem to have suspended it for a month about 10 years ago!