cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caught out by Massive jump in Fibre costs per month

ceedy
Grafter

Caught out by Massive jump in Fibre costs per month

Was just about to renew  my yearly Line rental payment , when I got an email showing a jump from 17 to 49 pounds per month.

Now some of that is the full cost line rental I was about to renew. and also  the 24/7 Phone calls monthly cost , but my negotiated discount I got last renewal has been dumped.  no warning just a "we're having this amount  "  email  😉

Got  through to PN .. and  was given lots of   reasons  Roll_eyes why they can't offer me a similar discount to that I have been paying for the last 12 months or so ..

Seems PN all happy for me to jump Ship  and lose the 400 odd quid  for the sake of 60 ish .  does seems pretty [-Censored-] business model Crazy2.C

Discussed the offers online for new customers  and got a Speel about a low user count in our area etc ... wasn't mentioned nor a problem in any of my previous years. Undecided

C.

20 REPLIES 20
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Caught out by Massive jump in Fibre costs per month

When you consider the wholesale costs that Plusnet have to pay, especially for bandwidth (the bandwidth that Plusnet share between all their customers apparently costs over £40 per 1 Mbit/s per month), the business model that doesn't make sense is the selling of the broadband at a loss-making discount.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

ceedy wrote:this amount  "  email  ;-)

Discussed the offers online for new customers  and got a Speel about a low user count in our area etc

And using this logic - never will be a high user area?

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Sure that wasn't "Not a low cost area"?   Referring to the OFCOM market classifications?  

ceedy
Grafter

Its all cobblers  anyway..

Its just playing with numbers. and PN are dancing to Bt's script  .

What PN get charged is pretty irrelevent. as it all owned by BT , who are by far  the most dominant supplier in  our area, and incidentally,  when I discussed with them this weekend about  their current Fibre Deals they were ble to beat PN by a Few pounds ( probably in the short term like PN ) , and when  i queried  whether this was classed as a low user area , they said its just a normal user area !

C.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@ceedy wrote:
when  i queried  whether this was classed as a low user area , they said its just a normal user area !

I believe BT Retail/Consumer just charge one price as opposed to charging the higher cost market area a higher price.

However having said this, last time I checked the lower cost market area price with us was cheaper. Which unfortunately isn't much use to you in the higher cost market area Undecided

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
ceedy
Grafter

its a pity PN have decided to hike all the prices so much over the last years,  always been happy with the whole relationship.

But  with even BT beating the PN price by a fiver per month . so a few quids saving over the 24 month offered contract period and also saving a bit paying up front  for  the LR , .....It .All just feels NOT right!

But with Talktalk beating  PN by the tune of 185 quids per year over the 24months   its bit of no brainer , unless  going to TT   is Crazy2

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

We'll be sorry to see you go, however I appreciate why, with the price differences between us and other providers for the high cost market areas.

Whichever provider you decide to go with, I wish you all the best moving forward.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The higher cost areas for FTTC is entirely an invention of Plusnet though, isn't it?

ceedy
Grafter

Well it wasn't there when I joined 3 years ago ... and nothings changed down here!! Roll_eyes

ceedy
Grafter

Actually  my info was wrong..... we  were not in a High Cost/low user  area in the last 2 years. ago.

But i forgot  that we have had  2 big builds going on  recently  so  over 300  new houses ( all now full and lived in)..

So  that excuse is blown right  out of the water ..

I don't mind being given  BS ,, but please make  it qualtiy BS that isn't so blantantly untrue .

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Market areas aren't really set on number of users in an area, it's set on the providers in the area as far as I'm aware.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
ceedy
Grafter

We have the choice of almost every other provider   except  Virgin Fibre here ?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

A high cost area is where BTWholesale is the sole supplier of the equipment in an exchange.

You can check your exchange by inputting your home phone number at
https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
ceedy
Grafter

Well in that case  discounting all the Hic-cost area Bull.. 

Looks like I just simply fell for the standard sharp practice  of  pull in a Customer with a Loss leading deal then  whack up the prices at next renewal ?.

If  mother company BT can beat  my current  PN renwall by a small amount ..  then its all just  playing with numbers innit!