cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cashback - claim procedure

samsparks

Cashback - claim procedure

Received an email today inviting me to claim a cashback (£50). I'm a new customer - a TalkTalk security breach refugee.
I have to click on an embedded email link. My policy is to never do this, so I called customer service to see if I could submit a request when logged on securely. They said, 'no and tough luck matey - use it or lose it'.
So, had a peek at the email link. It gets worse: I'd have to submit my username and password. This is not going to happen.
Does anywone have any suggestions or do I wave bye-bye to £50 and wave bye-bye to Plusnet when the contract is up?
13 REPLIES 13
MelRocks
Grafter

Re: Cashback - claim procedure

Hi,
I understand you being cautious after the issues you've experienced. However, to claim the cashback you need to follow the link and login to the Member Centre. This allows the claim to be submitted against the correct account in our systems. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may cause but this is the only way we have of claiming this. Thank you.
samsparks

Hi Mel,
Many thanks for taking the time to reply.
I believe my caution is justifiable. I have always applied a strict policy of not clicking on embedded email links - the TalkTalk experience merely confirmed my view that extreme caution should be exercised when giving out any personal information on the Internet.
I only give out personal info when logged on within secure environments.
So, it seems that unless I am willing to act against my instincts (evolved since my online days that began long before the 'Internet') I can wave £50 goodbye?
How does this fit with the following claims that feature prominently on the Plusnet website:
"At Plusnet we take pride in...going that extra mile to look after our customers".
And, "We put our customers' needs at the heart of everything we do".
And, "Join Plusnet and you don't become a number. You're valued and treated as an individual".
And, "We continue to deliver outstanding service, recognised by the awards we've won".
And, "We're really proud to have satisfied customers"?
I find it really hard to believe that Plusnet cannot suggest an alternative way in which I can claim the promised £50?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Are you happy to login to the Member Centre using the normal (secure) login page? Then click the link, or type the link URL into a different tab. Normally if already logged in on the same browser you don't need to do this again. Does that work here?
David
samsparks

Hi spraxyt
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I am happy to log on to the Member Centre.
But, I don't understand your suggestion: "Then click the link, or type the link URL into a different tab. Normally if already logged in on the same browser you don't need to do this again. Does that work here? "
Can you clarify?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

it may well do however using two tabs may be a little more certain
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

But, I don't understand your suggestion: "Then click the link, or type the link URL into a different tab. Normally if already logged in on the same browser you don't need to do this again. Does that work here? "
The link in the email is a link which requires you to log in to your member centre to activate the cashback. You are ( quite rightly! ) concerned about entering your details into a link from an email. What spraxyt is suggesting is that you login to the member centre as normal, then open another tab and either click the email link or manually enter the link from the email into that new tab. Because you are already logged into the member centre, then the link from the email will not require you to login again and thus remove the requirement to enter your userid/password.
At least that's the theory... 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

samsparks

Thanks MisterW
I think I understand what you're saying. Still leaves me feeling uncomfortable tho' - it feels like a maybe-it's-OK-but-who-really-knows 'workaround' that really shouldn't be necessary.
I'm not suggesting that Plusnet is playing fast and loose with security but, since we live in an imperfect world, why not avoid all doubt and have, for example, a simple 'Claim Your Cashback' link in the Member's area? Or, maybe if I write to that nice Mr Baker he'd send me a cheque.
I'm not at the tin-foil hat end of the spectrum - just exercising reasonable caution.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Thank spraxyt, not me, it was his idea!. My suggestion would have been to browse to the link and then check the https certificate from the padlock , to check it was a valid Plusnet link before entering any details.
Spraxyt's idea is much simpler, as the validity of the link is automatically checked if. It doesn't require you to login.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

samsparks

MisterW
Thanks I'll look closer at your suggestions and and those of spraxyt when I get a few quiet moments. I'll let you know what I decide to do.
I think that is absurd and inexcusable that Plusnet's customers are in effect forced to come up with 'magical' work-arounds in order to retain their peace of mind.
It creates the sense that Plusnet's concept of 'servicing' has more agricultural undertones than I'd like to think about.
samsparks

Logged onto member's area and pasted email URL into a new tab. The resulting form asks for  Name, Address, Plusnet Username, Email Address.
I'm still not happy about providing this info outside of the Member's Secure area. Plusnet have this info already so why resubmit it?
I won't spend any more time on this other than to write to Mr Baker to ask for my cashback refund.
So, two weeks into my 'relationship' with Plusnet here are my first impressions: Plusnet has a dismissive attitude towards customer's concerns. They appear happy to adopt a take-it-or-leave attitude. They appear to believe that any shortcomings can be justified on the basis of: 'cos that's just the way we do things mate'.
It appears that producing abundant self-congratulatory blurb proves that they are wonderful.  Being unquestionably wonderful, it seems to follows that any attitude they adopt, or anything they say or do, is also wonderful - irrespective of any evidence to the contrary.
Maybe makes it easy to say: "We’re incredibly proud of the service we provide to our customers and we’re constantly looking for ways to improve and innovate", while doing the very opposite.
samsparks

I received this reply today via the Members Centre:
Dear **********,
Thank you for getting in touch,
We go to great lengths to ensure we protect and secure our customer's data. Rest assured, if you follow the link within the email this will not pose any security risk to you.
You need to do this in order to claim your cashback, as is the case for all of our customers on this particular offer. This is the terms of the cashback deal you signed up to.
Sorry I was unable to give you the answer you were hoping for.
Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?p=search if we can be of any further assistance.
Kind regards,
FollyDolly

Please could plusnet or anyone who has received the 'email' containing  the £75 cashback link tell me what the subject line reads of that email. I have sooo many emails (all in duplicate for some reason!) Each email has numerous links contained within, most of which are DOA or should I say DOO even the call charges link Billing and call charges guide returns a plusnet '404 - page not found'.
samsparks

Email received 04/12/15 (I had some follow-up email discussions with Member Services) - All's well that ends well.
Dear *********
Thank you for getting back to ourselves.
Firstly, please allow me to apologise for the issues that you have had.
Whilst the redemption form is secure and we have methods in place to make sure that this is the case I can certainly appreciate your apprehension on this.
Therefore, I have spoke with our marketing team on your behalf and we have agreed that we are going to automatically redeem this for you and therefore you will receive the cheque in the next 30 days.
I hope that this helps and that you enjoy the rest of your day.
Kind regards,