cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant Change Package - even though i'm an authorised name

User12345

Cant Change Package - even though i'm an authorised name

I've seen similar posts when searching on this topic,  some help would be appreciated.  I want to change my product,  but then i got stuck with a Account Holder issue ....
The "main" account holder is in a different name and that person hasn't lived in the house for a long time.  Back in February i ordered fibre to let me watch netflix,  all good.  I even upgraded again to the unlimited fibre option (80Mbps) as i was going over my 10GB limt on the 40Mbps Fibre product.
So,  i notice there is now a unlimited 40Mbps product and with the recent notification of the phone cost going up £1 to £15.99 a month i thought i could downgrade to the unlimited 40Mbps product for £14.99 from the £19.99 broadband product i have now.
I phoned up customer services, answered the security Q's and am told they can't do anything on my account as i'm not the "main" account holder.  I am an "authorised" person on the account though.  I then got some rubbish about Data Protection and Ofcom rules makign it *illegal* for them to make any changes.  Remember i have passed the security check as i am the account holder, the bills have been coming out my account for a long time now.  You can't chnage the details on the plusnet website as those fields can't be edited either.
They said the only way i can change the product is to cancel and then get a new account with myself as the main holder,  but get this,  but they can't cancel the account as i'm not the main account holder.  Cheesy
They refused to escalate to an manager who may be able to override this setting or situation,  so right now i'm locked out of my account and can't make a change - but PlusNet were happy for me to upgrade a few months back,  i guess the offer of more money from the account bends the rules.
There must be a process to alter this. 
Note:  I know they can't change the username, i don't want to change the username. 
14 REPLIES 14
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Cant Change Package - even though i'm an authorised name

Changing the account holder should be possible according to the website but it could be difficult
The staff on here should be able to assist
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi User12345,
Sorry to say that you were advised correctly - only the account holder can cancel the account or make the product change you're referring to. Are you able to get the account holder to get in touch and put the request through?
Bear in mind that the day you come to cancel you will require the account holder to do this anyways so it may be an idea to go through the process of cancelling this account and setting up a new one in your name. The only downside to this is that it'll leave you without services between the services being ceased from the cancelled account and the services being re-provided for your new account.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Or change your name by deed poll.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I guess the only practical solution is to ask for a MAC and transfer to another service provider with the account in your name.
If PN won't issue a MAC then order a new line and service from another company.
And obviously stop paying PN, it's not your debt, it's the account holders! They'll cut the line off soon enough.
Hopefully they'll see common sense and stop interpreting the DPA in such a rigid and unreasonable (and totally unnecessary) way so none of that will be necessary.
User12345

The customer service guy even thought I should cancel and rejoin. 
But why would I rejoin when they have messed me around so much.  There goes a plusnet customer, over a trivial issue.   
Thank you for the replies.  I'd hoped one of the plusnet team on here would help, and see sense....
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

It looks to me as if you have been impersonating the main account owner  Undecided
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

These things happen easily in families or large "fluid" households such as shared student accommodation.
At our house we even had problems because, for no particular reason, the gas bill was in my wife's name but I paid it from my own (not joint) bank account.
Doing stuff online usually bypassed most problems.  Cool
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Stop all payments, then phone PN and start a new account in your own name. Whose name is the phone line in, and is that PN as well?
If it is and PN are going to be intransient you are going to be without a phone out internet for a while. The only other option is to kick Plusnet into touch by cancelling payments. This will take a few weeks to filter through to them, and in the meantime contract someone like virgin with their own fibre etc.
The DPA was introduced to protect the public from misinformation being held about and used against them. Unfortunately, Plusnet are technically correct though I feel if they really wanted to they could suspend the original account, not close it, and open a new account using the same line- just gives you a differentnumber (assuming that you are with ON for phone).
If its just internet, that's even easier.
LukeS
Grafter

Because changes like this affect billing it needs to come from the main account holder. I appreciate this has changed from what it was previously but we do have our customers best interests in mind when making changes like this.
Account changes can also be done through the member centre by the account holder, I personally prefer this option as you're able to see all the information about the new package including terms and conditions.
gofaster
Rising Star

Account changes can also be done through the member centre by the account holder

Ah Luke, if only this were possible.
The member center Product Change page won't allow you to change your broadband at all if you are on Unlimited Fibre.
When I go to the product change page the only option I am offered is "Keep this product"
What a pile of parts
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Notify Plusnet that the account holder has died.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Probably won't work as they need a death certificate
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

As the person [paying the bills, I'd suggest raising a ticket notifying them that from the next billing date you wish to swap to the Unlimited 40Mbps account. If they refuse to accept that and take the amount for the higher priced account on your next billing, reclaim the difference under the DD guarantee.
If that doesn't sort it, order a new line with a different supplier as I bet they won't issue a MAC then stop the DD altogether. You'd have to unplug the modem on the last day you've paid up to to make sure the line wasn't used in any way after that date. If they refer it to a debt collection agency, it won't be you that they are chasing, it will be the account holder!
This all highlights a crying need for a formal account takeover procedure for situations like student accommodation where there is a turnover of residents but down time (and the expense) while one account is closed and another started is unacceptable.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
petecov44
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Probably won't work as they need a death certificate

When I worked there that was the way for a while but then it was dropped. I recall several calls where I actioned this without the DC. I hope they have not gone back to that - it's a very difficult call to deal with in that case.