Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot view bill in new billing system

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Cannot view bill in new billing system

I haven't been able to reliably view bills in FF.

I have KIS and tried turning it off to view a bill which worked after a few seconds delay.

The problem is that I now enable KIS protection.

Restart FF

Get the "There has been an issue; please consult your system administrator" message.

Refresh FF and I get the billing page....with KIS protection enabled.

Inconclusive Sad

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

When you get the message shown in red, what happens if rather than refreshing the page you logout of Member Centre, then login again once the login page appears?

David
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I get a blank white screen David after logging in and clicking 'Billing' which sometimes eventually loads the billing screen and sometimes not.

There is nothing consistant about it to get my teeth into.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

It would be helpful if those having persistent issues could identify what interference software they are running. Given the variation of experience I’m starting to suspect third party software incompatibility.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anon
Pro

Fascinating customers now trying to identify issues, wonder what Pnet staff have been doing?

Whatever happens always remember "We will do you
.........................proud" say Pnet.
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

I'm not running anything - I'm actually getting an error in the developer console when I go to the billings page:

XML Parsing Error: no element found Location: https://iac.plus.net/prgatewayweb/PRPCGateway Line Number 1, Column 1:

Clicking on the button produces:

ReferenceError: event is not defined[Learn More] pega_ui_harness_deferred_1348938678!!.js:378:5504

So this is just poorly developed code.

I believe the XML parsing error is because the url in the Location is actually an HTML error page and not an XML document which contains:

PRGateway Exception: request is incomplete and cannot be processed

We really should not be having these sort of problems with something as fundamental as billing.

Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

@Richchad wrote:

@Mad_Moggies Thanks for the info, can't seem to find Preferences in Kaspersky Total Security, must be slightly different to Kaspersky Internet Security, will look into it further tomorrow.

On my Mac you get to Kaspersky Internet Security Preferences from the drop down menu from the toolbar and then it opens a separate window with 8 tabs for all sorts of things that you can customise. The box I have unticked is in the first tab marked 'Protection', as it blocks reputable https pages (possibly a conflict with Firefox!).

Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
Richchad
Rising Star

@Mad_Moggies

Okay did some more messing about with Kaspersky Total Security this morning.

I found when I went into KTS settings/Protection/Web Anti Virus/Advanced Settings/URL Advisor/Configure Trusted URLs and added the PN billing page URL it seems to allow the page to open every time.

I have logged out and back in and also rebooted and it still seems to work.

I am not sure if this is the same as what you did but it sounds similar?

Thanks to all that gave me some help/ideas.

UPDATE

Just checked it about an hour later and now cannot view the billing page... so doesn't look like I fixed it with the above. Embarrassed

Seems strange it worked for a while though, even logging off and on and rebooting.

So now I have no idea what it is, why have PN wriiten something that is causing so much hassle Crazy2

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I've been catching up with this saga this morning; thought I'd try a few of the suggested fixes in Firefox.......but none worked! Even switching off all security (AV.Ad blockers etc) doesn't allow Bills and Payments to display on my Win 10 set up with FF 63.0.1.

However, the bills display fine in either Chrome or Edge!

Anon
Pro

Just used Chrome and it works, but poor code that does not work generally.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

I've just spent some time looking at the billing pages in developer mode in Firefox again. The new member centre pages are a slight improvement in general, and do now cache some of the style sheets etc. The downloads for each page do still seem excessive (5.5Mb for the billing page, and that is with the style sheets cached). I've been using my 4G connection as they take ages to download over my Plusnet ADSL connection.

I currently have 3 accounts - one is a residential account that has been running a couple of years, one is a new business account that has been running a month, and the other is a residential account that was replaced by the business account and is now closed. Amusingly, the closed account works fine - I can see the bills with a delay of only 10s or so.

The other residential account worked today, but it has only worked intermittently over the past few weeks.

The new business account is a disaster. I have no initial bill visible a month after I paid - this is a recognized problem with my account that Plusnet have been working to fix for a couple of weeks now. The billing page does not completely download even after 10 minutes (I gave up then).

I have taken the opportunity to block a lot of the tracking and analytic code (there is masses of it!), and that does help the site run smoother (no doubt some functionality may depend on some of it, but I haven't noticed anything yet).

So, I don't think the issues are just end-user browser/antivirus/ad-blocker issues - it really is server-side. I've been using the same computer, same browsers (Firefox/Chrome/Edge), etc, and seen different behaviour on different accounts and on different days with the same account

I would suggest clearing any cached content (and cookies), as quite a few of the stylesheets etc. have been changed. They should be replaced if the upstream copy changes, but it won't hurt to be sure. Otherwise just hope Plusnet do eventually fix the problems.

Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

@Richchad, not quite the same. Even though I have my various banking sites specified in Safe Money, KIS won't let me open them if I have Protection tab -> General: ticked for 'Check secure connections (HTTPS) ......'.

It seems to be a complex interaction between all sorts of things that's causing this problem for some and not for others. 😕

Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@Anon wrote:

Fascinating customers now trying to identify issues...

Is that not what the community is all about?  Customers helping others to identify and solve issues TOGETHER (with or without Plusnet)?

The fact that the system works well enough for many (after dealing with the stale portal session problem) somewhat suggests that there is something peculiar for those still having difficulty.  Sometimes looking for such profiles is harder than finding a needle in a hay stack, but the more people making a constructive contribution here, looking in a methodical manner, the greater the chance of finding a common theme and potential solutions.

"It works for me with that..." is useful up to the point of showing that a base technology works as expected.  The devil comes in exploring which of the many bells and whistles a user might be using in addition to said product / standard settings, wi9ch cause things to fail in unexpected ways.  The reality is that no amount of lab testing is ever going to deliver the exposure comparable to the user base - by the very nature of the practice, QA environments are well defined and tightly controlled.  The same cannot be said of the real world.

Clearing cookies and cache has echoes of needing to ensure that there is a clean portal session - just logging in again is not (in my experience) sufficient.  Empirical testing has proved that logging in again and attempting to access the billing & payment modules is not likely to be successful; it might load, but it is not going to access the data.

If the module is failing to load, use the LOGOUT link and log back in again should be done first to clear out the known stale session issue … after that we are looking for some other factor.  Such factors might include connection type (it is a big payload), pop-up blockers, add blockers (getting things wrong), redirection inhibitors … there's a rich list of potential culprits … and the billing module does call upon a large technology stack.

We have choices, we can be part of the solution or sit on the bank, dropping little rocks into the pond just for the fun of seeing how far the ripples go.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anon
Pro

Or we can wonder why we keep paying Pnet to sit on the bank watching the punters struggle.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

To follow up on my earlier post - I now can't view the billing page on any of my accounts, from any browser.  I have even tried logging in from a computer in the USA that hasn't access my plusnet account before, and it behaves exactly the same.

I don't really understand the difficulty, as I see it the billing page needs to:

- allow the user to select a bill from a drop down list

- check the user's credentials (the session details do that)

- retrieve the pre-prepared PDF file (these are now larger than previously at around 130Kb, but they aren't massive and shouldn't stress a server)

IMO the billing page shouldn't need to:

- download 5.5Mb

- delay 10-120 seconds before managing to download scripts from plus.net, google analytics, liveperson.net etc.

- make repeated accesses to liveperson.net (every second while you are on the page)

UPDATE: the clean machine did display the billing page - after about 10 minutes.