Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot view bill in new billing system

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Re: Thanks for visiting, we'll be back soon

@Townman, "Where did you see that expectation set?" - in the Service Status statement which said "Between the hours of 20:00 on the 31/08/2018 and 07:00 on the 01/09/2018 we will be undergoing some maintenance... " . By your statement that service resumed at 1pm today, that gives a figure of 30 hours later than expected. Of course although it is "back" it still isn't working, so that is probably a generous assessment.

And as far as my experience in IT goes I'd expect that rehearsals do accurately represent the real task - otherwise you're not rehearsing correctly.

If people have been working around the clock for 4 days for a planned procedure, then the project management is wrong. For a planned procedure nobody should be working around the clock - that is a recipe for disaster.

I cut my teeth in an environment that guaranteed five-nines availability (less than an hour downtime per decade). It isn't rocket science, it just needs planning and management.

corringham
Seasoned Champion

@G3WYP, I also see the "PRGateway Exception error response from PRC" message. It appears to be generated by a CRM system from PEGA who claim to be the "#1 in software for customer engagement and digital process automation".

Perhaps we should be thankful that Plusnet didn't go with the #2... 

mpmc
Grafter

Fantastic, no plus.net bills til 2037! Cheesy

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Cannot view bill in new billing system

For our sake, please revert back to old billing. I really hate the new billing and now even worse case PN has messed up my account billing and cannot see my online bills.

Why do PN changed billings to much worsen now than before?

Not happy at all.

no longer see any billsno longer see any bills

updated: won't display via firefox or chrome. Only can view it via Internet Explorer. Plusnet need to fix this for both firefox and chrome as I use this sites than internet explorer.

iag

Just to add a bit more info...

If, having selected a bill date, I then view the HTML source for the frame where the bill should be I can actually see the bill details along with the html tags.

So it looks like this new system is simply generating bad html, that Firefox and Chrome can't display.

Makes you wonder what QA was performed on this new system?

flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

Just checked - works in Edge but not in Chrome or Firefox.

G3WYP
Rising Star

Just had a look now and all seems to be working.

I cannot understand why Banks and other commercial organisations cannot first try new systems off line and then if they go live do not make sure they have the old system to fall back on whilst problems found can be rectified this would prevent customer dissatisfaction.

When I went on a computer course at our local Tech the first thing we were taught was Grandfather, Father and Son backup systems then there is always a fall back.

The other thing was GIGO!

Derek 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Ah if only IT were as simple as academics teaching tech courses suggest.

System changes such as this are exceedingly complex with change steps which present no regression constraints and / or restore paths which would take far longer than fix found issues forward.

It’s a cheap dig to challenge QA so simply - there are a multitude of defective browsers out there which do not render good HTML correctly. Testing all browsers and all historical versions of them is simply not viable.

The only viable approach is to “fix forward”. I speak with the experience of 35 years in IT and having run a good number of major IT system migrations. It is never possible to test for every possible scenario - running rehearsals against sand-pit test environments will never be the same as doing it for real on live production platforms which usually still need to deliver the day job.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

corringham
Seasoned Champion

I don't think anyone is suggesting that testing against all historical browsers is necessary. Testing against the latest Chrome, Firefox, and Safari as well as IE and Edge is probably a minimum though.

Today I can see bills if I use Edge and wait 15-20 seconds. Unfortunately I almost exclusively use Linux, so it is effectively still broken for me as none of the other browsers display bills.

I assume that the long delay in loading may be down to Plusnet running the system with debug enabled, so it may get faster in time. Or it may not - to (not) display a bill, over 5MB of scripts and data is downloaded, which is going to take >=5s on my connection.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Payload info is interesting & useful.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cjags
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

I can now see the "Bills and Payments" page and linked pages on Firefox, albeit with a few seconds delay, but it is still not showing on Chrome, my preferred browser.

Also, my referrals the first of which which should have shown up yesterday are not there yet on the "current referrals" page. Some more are due tomorrow so we shall see if they appear before my next billing date on the 7th. Hopefully I will not be chasing these!

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

This is what I get in Firefox:

Issue.PNG

It does however, work in Pale Moon, but not totally.

John
jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

I got something similar intermittently on Chrome yesterday but just a blank page today except for the LHS menu.

The last update on the Service Status was due at 10:00 today but nothing as yet!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Blank pages / red error messages - these are looking like transient issues. I’ve seen both and a good page load on a refresh. It’s been observed that there’s a 5MB payload so on some lines there might be a short delay.