Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot access anything Plusnet except Forum

JamesE
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Cannot access anything Plusnet except Forum

Since early this afternoon I cannot access anything plus.net except the Forum. I can't do my emails or my account or anything - except occasionally I can get so far and then it hangs. It's like only one server is working or there are far too many people trying to access and the server is inundated. Reminds me of when Northern Rock went down.

All other web sites - no problem.

12 REPLIES 12
harrym1byt
Rising Star

Re: Cannot access anything Plusnet except Forum

All working fine here..

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@JamesE

You mention e-mail, is that just the problem you are having it with?

Or other parts of PlusNet - if so let us know which bits.

Say for example the main www.plus.net site. Click around on a few links and do they work?

If it were a server issue, then it wouldn't just be yourself with this problem and PlusNet would know about it.

JamesE
Rising Star

After a fair delay I can enter the plus.net/home page but anything at the top which I click (I get the audible "click" showing I've got to it) but the little blue circle (W7 64 bit pro; Firefox) goes round and round and I get nowhere. I've tried flushdns. Eventually I get a message "problem loading page".

I've just tried "retry" and it got me to my login page but won't go further. While it's hanging I get at the bottom "transfering data from lo.v.liveperson.net. .........now a few minutes later ........ after I clicked on email I've got to my email login, filled in the details and clicked "login" and the "loading message has come up with the big Plusnet circle going round and round but nothing else happening.

Absolutely every other web site works perfectly.

EDIT: Just tried my wife's PC with her login (username+hername) and it's just the same - very slow up to login page and then just "round and round".

JamesE
Rising Star

Well, I've been on the phone for ages to one of the lads in Leeds or Sheffield and he cannot help because he says it's fine where he is. I explained that until Thursday I'm on BT copper but should go PN fttc on the 4th. Until yesterday afternoon I'd been able to access my PN account and email without problem. He got me to reset my router (BT Hub3) after which I could access my email via webmail.plus.net (weird, to say the least) but it was still so slow, slow, slow via www.plus.net and I couldn't even get the sales stuff to work on the website in the rare cases when I could actually get into it. I've just been to a neighbour's and I could get it to work there, he's on Sky though, not BT, so it might or might not be an area problem.

HELP!!!

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you checked if DNS lookups are giving you the correct IP?

C:\Users\John>nslookup www.plus.net
Server:  dns1.aa.net.uk
Address:  2001:8b0::2020

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    portal.plus.net
Addresses:  212.159.8.2
Aliases:  www.plus.net

For you lines 2 and 3 should be the Plusnet DNS server.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
JamesE
Rising Star

I'm sorry, I'm quite tech. savvy but this one is beyond me. Do I do a command or what? I can find no such file. I can find C:\Users\...me...\ntuser.dat but it won't let me open it. Could you please give me simple instructions.

EDIT: Got it! It's a command.

It gives me as lines 2 and 3:

Server BTHomehub.home

Address 192.168.1.254

????

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Did it give 212.159.8.2 and 212.159.9.2 in the answer?

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
JamesE
Rising Star

Yes. If I try them in the browser it's the same - little thingy goes round and round and gets nowhere. I've been trying various things and except for the email (now) and the Forum it's as if everything is ever so slow - sometimes I get there eventually if it doesn't time out first.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry to hear you're having problems accessing our site. I've discussed this with our incident management team and to further investigate, please can you run a traceroute for us to www.plus.net?

Open the command prompt and type tracert www.plus.net

Cheers.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

We've had a couple of similar reports over social media, all with BT Retail/Consumer.

From a traceroute we've been given over Twitter, the route is failing within the BT network, not even reaching our network. So I'd hazard a guess that your traceroute would be the same @JamesE

If so, I'd recommend raising this with BT to further investigate.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JamesE
Rising Star

1 - home hub

2 - request timed out

3 - 36 32 36 31.55.185.177

4 - 32 38 37 31.55.185.184

5 - 31 46 33 core2-hu0-10-0-0.colindale.ukcore.bt.net [195.99.127.134]

6 - .................................................."............................. [195.99.127.9]

Thereafter all request timed out

This is beyond my knowledge, but I get the idea, I hope it helps. I'd rather not try and deal with BT, they're impossible, that's why I've come to Plusnet.

Hey! - I've just tried to access the member centre and it's worked - quickly.

@Gandalf  I'd be most grateful to know what you make of all this. Are the other reports from round here (Brigg) or is randomly nationwide? The conspiracy theorist might think that it's BT up to dirty tricks. Odd, as they own Plusnet!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Gandalf  I'd be most grateful to know what you make of all this. Are the other reports from round here (Brigg) or is randomly nationwide?

We've had two reports over social media also. In both cases there, the provider was BT Retail/Consumer.

The traceroute you've completed looks very similar to the traceroute we were given over Twitter.

Seems that it's a problem with BT Retail/Consumer. 

Hey! - I've just tried to access the member centre and it's worked - quickly.

I'm glad to hear that!

EDIT: I'll hazard a guess that this is a fourth report.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet