cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellation rip-off

sledgehammer

Cancellation rip-off

I've been a PN customer since 2001, in the old always-on dial-up days. When our village got broadband in 2005, I switched to their ADSL. I used a teleworker package which gave you 20:1 contention at the exchange, which was an issue in those days. I've always, till now, been very satisfied with their customer service and the connection reliability.
For the last few years, I've got increasingly frustrated with paying £30.50 per month, when they keep advertising £2.99 per month unlimited broadband. So in July, I was fiddling around and managed to reduce it to £24.00 per month for what it's worth! Apparently, I signed up for another 24 months, which I clearly didn't understand. My account shows that I started in 2005 and I thought that I was past the cancellation period.
Now, I wish to shut my small business line down and cancel the broadband. They say there will be a cancellation charge of £319.00!
I would classify this as sharp practice and I find it a great shame that a company of such standing treats a customer, who has paid them thousands of pounds over the years, in such a manner.
Be warned!
5 REPLIES 5
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Cancellation rip-off

Hi sledgehammer,
I've taken a look over your account and I can see that on 08/09/13 your account was changed (in line with when you contacted us) to the Unlimited Business Broadband product, on a 24 month contract). As you are looking to close your account down before your contract period has ended, cancellation charges are applicable I'm afraid.
I completely appreciate that you have been a customer of ours for quite some time, however, as you are in contract with us, there is very little we can do in terms of the cancellation charges that would apply.
If you don't believe that you were made clearly aware of the contract change/length, you can get back in touch with our Business Support Team and have a senior agent have the call listened to, to verify this for you.
Please let us know if we can be of any further help.
sledgehammer

Hello Chris
Thank you for your prompt response.
I believe that I just changed the account myself online. In fact, I'm pretty certain, because I remember having to jump through hoops online to go to a cheaper deal. Your system seems to only want people to upgrade.
I may have phoned you that same day, though I don't recall. It was a Sunday. I'll ask for the call to be listened to.
Thanks.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

No problem.
If it was done online, you will have been sent an e-mail regarding the changes that you have made, which would have included information on the new 24 Month contract you've entered into.
Whilst you're having your call looked at, it may be worthwhile having a quick look through your historic e-mails as well.
sledgehammer

Hello again Chris
Yes, you sent me an email at 01:59 on the Sunday morning 08-09-2013. I can assure you that I was tucked up in bed at the time, so I probably switched online on 07-09-2013.
I now recall how I interpreted your email, which I copy below:
Your product change is now complete
•  Your new broadband product: Unlimited Business Broadband (24 Month Contract)
•  Your contract: 1 months
Your contract finishes on 07-10-2013

I took that to mean that, as I was an existing customer switching to a different product, that the contract minimum was for one month.
I'll be sure to contact a Senior Agent as you suggested, to discover what I phoned you about on 08-09-2013.
Thanks.
Edit: My detailed phone call records (from BT) do not show any calls made to you on 08-09-2013, or at anytime around that date, so something is strange when you say that I called you on that date. This is all a great shame and will now involve months of pi$$ing about with complaints procedures and regulators, when all I want to do is cancel a service. I'm not switching providers; all I want to do is cancel the service to save some money as I've closed my business and become a full-time carer.
sledgehammer

Update
My apologies for not updating sooner. This matter was satisfactorily resolved a couple of days after my last post.
The issue was escalated and it was agreed that I was on one month notice of cancellation, not two years.