cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellation of broadband and home phone but keeping as email only account - FAIL

ianmcleod1963
Dabbler

Cancellation of broadband and home phone but keeping as email only account - FAIL

My in-laws have just cancelled their broadband and home phone (cancellation form completed along with request to keep account as email only). Received Question as reply (Question #196010979)"Customer has requested to keep account as Email Only. Cancellation request is for 8th December". Received another question which states "The Phone cease on this account has been completed. Please arrange for the account to be cancelled" to which they have again asked that account be kept as email only. Guess what? Account now closed and mailboxes have been deleted. Have requested email only account be re-opened but doubts raised as to whether mailboxes could be recovered. Not very happy at all, but what can they do.....leave?

Not holding out much hope here, but you never know.

9 REPLIES 9
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Cancellation of broadband and home phone but keeping as email only account - FAIL

Hi @ianmcleod1963 I’m sorry to see what has happened. Unfortunately to downgrade an account to mail only, we need to first allow it to cancel as this removes the chargeable components stopping the billing.

The cancellation process is automated and apart from the initial request, this happens without any manual intervention, the ticket which advises “Please arrange for the account to be cancelled” is an automatically generated ticket from the days when we used to manually process this.

Once it’s cancelled we’d then be able to reactivate the account, change it to mail only and then recreate the destroyed mailboxes back to how they were just before cancellation. 

Apologies if this wasn’t explained. If you could leave this with me, I’ll ensure it’s sorted out tomorrow when I’m back in the office. 

Apologies for the inconvenience caused. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ianmcleod1963
Dabbler

Re: Cancellation of broadband and home phone but keeping as email only account - FAIL

Thanks Gandalf. Did ask the for confirmation in a couple of the questions but didn't get any reply. Hopefully it'll all be sorted soon.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @ianmcleod1963 

Apologies for how this was handled, we could've proactively monitored this and raised it to the appropriate team as soon as the account was cancelled to then reactivate things so I've arranged for feedback to be passed on.

Moving forward, I've reactivated your account now and changed this to a mail only account so they should have access to their emails as they were just before the point their account was cancelled.

I've also added more detail to the support ticket Here. Let me know how it goes and if there are any issues.

Apologies for the inconvenience we've caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ianmcleod1963
Dabbler

Thanks again Gandalf, can log into webmail but now empty and unable to send (get error about unknown domain). Also not receiving emails. When I try to send to it I get an error "The message could not be sent. The setting for your outgoing email [SMTP] server might need to be configured. To find the server settings for 'Irene@username.plus.com', please contact your email service provider.

Subject 'Test'
Server Error: 550
Server Response: 550 <irene@username.plus.com> recipient rejected - domain has no delivery address (DNS MX or A record)
Server: 'relay.plus.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC79
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 587
Secure(SSL): No

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @ianmcleod1963 

Could you go to Manage My Mail at http://www.plus.net/email to re-set up the mailboxes as they were originally?

As a heads up that if you log into webmail using just the account username for one of the email addresses, then that'd be the default address and you'd just rename it (As opposed to creating a new mailbox)

Let me know how you get on.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ianmcleod1963
Dabbler

Have set up mailbox but still getting error trying to send to email address with invalid domain error. Also still unable to send from her webmail account with an invalid domain error

Regards,

Ian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Ian. You'd normally get that error when the relevant mailbox hasn't been set up.

I've just added a reply to the ticket 196989131 with a bit more detail about that.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ianmcleod1963
Dabbler

Have updated ticket. Still cannot send to email address or send from webmail with error that domain not recognised.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks Ian, I'm looking into this further with a colleague but we may need to raise a task to our NetOps team to investigate further. I'll let you know when I know more. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet