cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellation confusion

AJones
Grafter

Cancellation confusion

I am posting here in response to a "no reply" email (and because the cancellation phone number isn't available in the evening).
I cancelled my PlusNet Extra broadband account by phone on the 5th of this month and was expecting it to complete today.  This afternoon I received an email titled "Important: About your cancellation request", some of which is quoted below, which has rather confused me.  Perhaps someone here can shed some light?
This email is to confirm that your cancellation request has been
processed. Your account with us will finish on 26/09/2011.

Since I phoned to cancel the account on the 5th and PlusNet require 10 days notice, I was expecting it to be cancelled today (the 15th).  I trust I will not be charged for subscription up until the 26th?
Cancellation details
--------------------
- Your data transfer: This will now be restricted to the included amount
for your account: false.

No idea what this is about, but I assume it's irrelevant since my account should now be cancelled and is no longer in use.
- Your Broadband Phone service: You have decided to keep your Broadband
Phone product.

No I haven't - I never had a "broadband phone product".  I hope I won't be charged for whatever this is?
Cancellation charges:
--------------------
You have been charged £ to cancel your service.

Um... how much have I been charged then?  The £25 cease fee has already been charged to my credit card.  Other than subscription charges up to today (10 days after I cancelled), that's all I owe, right?
Speaking of subscription charges, by an unfortunate coincidence I happened to cancel on the day the direct debit went out, so I've already been charged for this month (5/9/2011 to 5/10/2011) and will be due a refund for part of it.  If I now cancel my direct debit, will this stop the refund from taking place?  Presumably a direct debit is not needed to pay money into my account?
Comments on any of the above would be welcome.  I'd like this cancellation to happen without problems.
3 REPLIES 3
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Cancellation confusion

Hi there,
You won't be billed again even though the cancellation is happening slightly later than the 15th, so you've already paid the final charges. The reason things are delayed is due to the wait for the final payment to go through via direct debit.
ETA: I've refunded the cost from the 15th to the end of the month that you've already paid for as well.
Hope that helps explain things,
AJones
Grafter

Thanks Matt, that has put my mind at rest.
Is it safe to cancel my direct debit yet, or should I hold on a while longer?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'd wait a week or so to make sure you get the refund, but that's the only thing that needs to happen.