cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellation charges

CarolineM

Cancellation charges

I am trying to cancel my plus net phone/boradband (non contract) as I have just transferred to another provider.
I just called and spoke to someone and they said I would have a £30 cessation fee as the new provider didn't ask for a MAC code.
But I have since called the new provider, Tesco, who said they didn't need to ask for a MAC code when I wanted to change as it is a straight transfer of phone/broadband and not just broadband.
All the Tesco literature on their website corresponds with this too.
Who is right?Huh
Thanks
Caroline
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Cancellation charges

Tesco uses LLU and therefore the cancellation charge will be applied by Plusnet
There was a  thread about this
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,125583.0.html
CarolineM

Thanks for the response.  So no matter which way I approached my migration I would be charged by Plusnet.  Oh well.  Definitely glad I have changed now 🙂
petecov44
Grafter

Until you hit the monthly limit which is there but Tesco lie and say it's not.. I think it was 10GB or maybe 100GB? But I know this because in my old house we got caught by it. And if the latest reviews here are to go by ( http://www.cable.co.uk/guides/is-tesco-broadband-any-good/ ) I am glad I haven't Smiley
Anyhoo.. the £25 is what BT charge PN.. Tesco use LLU but I think it's someone elses kit.. You might find they are charged too and so you might be. Won't know until you leave them.
CarolineM

I'm sure I probably will be charged when I leave them, but I am paying half the price of Plusnet and reached the end of my tether with my service when I had to endure 5 days without internet in June for no reason.  I rely on the internet for work.  You win some you lose some I guess.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I don't know what caused your 5 days without internet but every ISP except Virgin Cable relies on the same BT Openreach engineers to fix infrastructure faults. 
petecov44
Grafter

Using a cheap Tesco residential service for work purposes is a laughable action.. Experience will make clear why.  I will never fathom people who want to pay peanuts for internet for work when it's 100% deductible anyway - unless of course the work is not declared.. My internet bill is near £90 a month I have a business cable service also. I can't afford to lose money/work so I have a SLA and a backup.
And as Reed says even LLU providers have to use OR engineers as we know Tiscali had their own but BT forbid them exchange access to fix anything.