cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellation charges - Hidden information

hektorshouse
Grafter

Cancellation charges - Hidden information

I am a seriously unhappy ex-customer who is taking this case to the ombudsman. Though others should be aware of this for when they leave plusnet.
I cancelled my account after several happy years without complaint at Plusnet. I was migrating to a new ISP on the same phoneline, an ISP provided by work - one I have no choice in.
I requested a MAC key which I was told would take upto 24hours to generate, I had to chase this to get the key. The information supplied by the CS Agent was good but I was severely let down by the offer of the same service for nearly 30% discount - was I overpaying in the long run as over the years even though account charges changed my costs didn't change as quickly - in a similar fashion to Petrol and Energy companies really.
I migrated to the new supplier after supplying the MAC key with no problems at all.
I received a telephone call, apparantly I had cancelled my DD too early - unfortunately due to medical issues I was unable to respond to these requests in a timely manner.
I received a letter from a debt collection agency demanding payment of £45. I called Plusnet who sorted this out and took payment of the missing last payment of £11.50ish. Sorted - and still happy.
Yesterday, received a very threatening letter from the same Debt Collection Agency threatening action if I do not pay the £45. I called Plusnet to find out why there was no communication between them and the agency. I was informed there was a £25 charge unpaid for Ceasing the line. The line was not ceased, the account migrated to a new supplier, but in Plusnet terms it seems it was ceased - as I see it the ADSL configuration was Ceased and then the new supplier had to re-enable it - instead of permitting a migration without a break in the service aka a cease and enable.
Although the cancellation policy states there may be a charge (not specifically mentioned in Migration I may add) - it does not state how much it would be or that there is a specific cease charge when migration. Policy here: http://www.plus.net/support/service/policies/cancellation.shtml (I have a screenshot of this).
I am forced to pay this £25 or spend a day fighting it in the courts. I am referring to the Ombudsman as there were clear opportunities to inform me of this charge and Plusnet failed on all counts to inform me of this. I will be expecting this charge back.
So, if Plusnet do not remove this post, be warned.
Adrian
4 REPLIES 4
James
Grafter

Re: Cancellation charges - Hidden information

Adrian,
We won't remove your post.  We don't do that unless it breaches the forum rules.
If you are going to speak to the Ombudsman it is very likely they will refer you back to my team.
Leave it with me and I will sort things out for you.
James
Grafter

Hi Adrian,
I've just tried calling you on your mobile (voicemail) and landline (unobtainable).
Everything on your account should shortly be sorted and you shouldn't hear from us again.
hektorshouse
Grafter

I am at work and do not have signal due to the areas I work in.
Thank you, I apologise if this felt like an underhand way to highlight this issue. I just felt there is a lack of policy knowledge with regards to this issue. The cancellation policy states that there may be a charge but is not clear on where it applies and what costs that will be. Although, in some ways, that may be acceptable this policy does state a charge for continuing an email account only so I feel there was a contradiction. Although you know where to look I found it here: http://www.plus.net/support/service/policies/cancellation.shtml.
What I found most annoying was I found the cessation charges after raising this issue and found that it contradicts what I was told on the phone where no charge applies for migrations - hence why I probably was not told before today.: http://www.plus.net/support/customer_service/billing/cessation_charges.shtml.
Thanks again, can I be assured the Debt Collection request has been or will be cancelled (or do I still owe this figure)?
James
Grafter

Hiya,
It sounds like we incorrectly identified your outbound migration as a cease - hence why you were charged for cessation when you shouldn't have been.
We have contacted Moorcroft (our DR supplier) and they have said that they will be sending you a confirmation letter that you do not owe any money.
What you were told on the phone is correct - a cessation fee should not be charged when you migrate to a different supplier.