cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellation after house move

clairerawson

Cancellation after house move

I really need someone to explain this to me! I'm with plusnet for my phone line and internet. In November last year (within 12 months of starting my contract) I moved house. Moving the phone line was going to cost me £110 and cancelling would have been £90. Being logical I said I would just cancel it because it was cheaper and so plusnet offered to move the line for free- which I wasn't going to complain about. I'm now moving as my contract at work has come to an end and plusnet are trying to charge me £90 to leave! £25 for administration and £65 because I'm moving within a year?! This doesn't make sense to me, I've been with plusnet since July last year... so over a year now. They're saying that when I moved I started a new contract- is this right?
4 REPLIES 4
clairerawson

Re: Cancellation after house move

Any advice is greatly appreciatied!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Please give the staff a bit of time to reply
In principle there are two charges
£25 is for cancellation of the broadband connection - this is a charge by BT Openreach to all providers
I can't comment on what you were or were not told for obvious reasons (I don't know being the principle one) but a free house move or indeed a free anything such as a router comes with a 12 month tie in
LukeAger
Grafter

Hi clairerawson
Welcome to the Forum.
When our customers move home, either inside their first 12 month contract or after that we offer the facility to move your service to your new address. When you do this there are 2 options, You can take advantage of a deferred housemove, This means that we move the service for free however if you cancel the account in the following 12 months we would charge for the cost of the recent housemove (£65.00).  The alternative to this is simply to pay £65.00 for the housemove upfront, this would mean you are not entering a new contract.
When you moved your service in November we would have taken your new address and moving dates ect and confirmed all this info to you in an email... That email includes the following text.
"When we move your broadband we have to pay our suppliers a total of £65 in charges. This is broken down to £25 for the termination of your broadband, and £40 to activate it on a new number. We are more than happy to cover the cost of your house move, so long as you keep your account open for the next 12 months. If you prefer, you can elect to pay the fee up front from a valid credit or debit card."
Hopefully this explains how the deferred housemove contract works.
The £25.00 cessation fee is charged at any point where a connection is ceased and so This is why the fee has added up to £90.00
Have you considered moving the service to your new address if you are moving home again? If you anticipate being at your next address for 12 months this could be an option.
jcaffrey

I wouldn't feel that bad. I was quoted £200 today which is an absolute joke.