cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellation Fees

dgarratt
Grafter

Cancellation Fees

I am moving home this month. I currently have 2 Broadband connections with Plusnet (1 Business and 1 Residential). I have 2 as the line is so unreliable and slow I need some duplication to get the bandwidth I need. I don't have a problem with Plusnet. However the new housing development I am moving to has got optical fibre already plumbed into the house by a local provider. Apparently they are the only option. Customer loyalty can only go so far - but when offered a 50mb connection for £27 how can I refuse.
So bottom line I need to cancel my broadband business account immediatly, then when I have a firm moving date cancel the residential account. Both are early terminations. Looking at my acount I see there is a cesation charge plus £40 for the "free" router.
Can some let me know how they calculate the termination fees ?
Thanks
Dave
13 REPLIES 13
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Cancellation Fees

looking at when you joined the forum, your residential might be free  (12 month), look at your account here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?s=0&action=account_summary and it will give you a clue,  only 10 days notice required, but looks like £25
I think that Business is on a 18 month contract, so might cost more
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

hi dgarratt,
The most definite way to find out what's what is to call customer options on 0845 140 6002 mon-fri 9am-5.30pm and they'll tell you exactly how much it'll be.
Jojo Smiley
dgarratt
Grafter

Over £700 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
err
slump
dgarratt
Grafter

Good honest broadband - won't be beat on price eh - well I agree - I doubt anyone else would charge that much for cancelling.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I doubt anyone else would charge that much for cancelling.

I personally doubt we would charge that much I'm going to have a look at your account now dgarratt
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I've checked and any potential cancellation charges on the account your community username links to would be nowhere near that amount.
Please PM me with your user name so I can make sure I'm checking the right account and I'll check and confirm what the correct charges should be.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
dgarratt
Grafter

I've emailed you - let me know if you didn't get it.
Thanks
Dave
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi Dave,
As per my reply to your message the charges are in the region you quoted I'm afraid. I need to eat my words.
I've given you a breakdown of these charges in my reply to your PM. I do however have some suggestions to avoid this.
However the new housing development I am moving to has got optical fibre already plumbed into the house by a local provider. Apparently they are the only option

I know a lot of people that have moved into new apartments or housing developments where cable is already plumbed in but its certainly not mandatory to take it so I'm going to advise that you question this.
Also as mentioned we can most likely get a one of our lines installed for you at the new property. Let me know if you want to consider that and I'll get some checks done for you.
Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Some of these new estates are not supplied with any BT infrastructure. Thus the local suppliers have a monopoly . Can't find the relevant site at the mo'  Embarrassed
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Any estates like this usually allow our engineers to install lines if needed too.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
dgarratt
Grafter

Well I do feel that this is unfair. I think plusnet should consider the fact that I would stay with them if it were possible It's just that the entire estate is only plumbed for optical from a local supplier. If I don't cancel and simply say I want you to provide a service for me (knowing you cannot) then it's up to you to cancel the contract and not me ?
I don't mind reasonable out of pocket expenses, but getting nailed for literally hundreds of pounds is plain and simple punishment.
Also resetting the contract when you change between options 1,2,3 etc also seems rather sneaky.
Not very happy.

Dave
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Could you not swap to option 1, 1 year contract (£16/month) and then cancel?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

dgarratt,
I'll send you a PM with a suggestion re this.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team