Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel FTC after line rental price increase notice

Sebtomato
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Cancel FTC after line rental price increase notice

Hi,
I have received recently an email from Plusnet stating that the phone line rental will increase in September. Does that mean that I can jump on the opportunity to also cancel my FTC broadband and switch both broadband and telephone line elsewhere?
I am paying about £37 a month now with Plusnet (line + FTC), as the various discounts have finished, while moving to BT (on a 12 months contract only) would cost me around £24, so Plusnet is no longer competitive, but I think I have 6 months left in my 18 months contract.
Thanks
S.
14 REPLIES 14
Sebtomato
Rising Star

Re: Cancel FTC after line rental price increase notice

Actually, going through a Cashback site, I could get BT infinity 40mb unlimited for £3 per month (+ line rental)
£15 a month (12 month contract only)
-£84 cashback
-£100 Sainsbury voucher
+£42 installation/router deliver
= £3 per month!
Line rental saver: £15.25 per month
Total per month: £18.25 compared to £36.97 with Plusnet
Quite a difference. It's going to be "bye bye" Plusnet soon, unless they give me basically FTTC broadband for free (which won't happen).
Sebtomato
Rising Star

Does anybody know the process from changing between FTTC providers? It sounds like the process has changed recently, and a MAC code is no longer required (new provider is notifying old one).
Sebtomato
Rising Star

Quote from: Sebtomato
Do I still need to call Plusnet to cancel my contract?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Just initiate the switch with BT, you don't need to inform PN.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

As per the price rise email, you need to contact PN, and tell them your are leaving due to the price rise
^ If, as a result of the changes in this email, you decided to terminate your affected service(s), you may do so without incurring any early termination charges that may otherwise be payable. If you wish to exercise this right you must contact us within 30 days of receiving this notification and gives us 14 days notice. You will still be liable for service charges up to the date of termination

Kind regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Sebtomato
Rising Star

I did call them today, to notify them that I wanted to terminate my account.
They told me the new provider would take care of it.
However, they took no details whatsoever (telephone number, name), so how do I prove that I notified them properly? Can't find an email address or even postal address to write to! I am pretty sure I used to be able to write to Plusnet through the website, but it seems to be gone now.
I assume they would notify me of the termination coming soon, and also on how to return their poor router and OpenReach modem?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

A closed ticket should have been raised on your account recording details of the contact.
You can check for this at https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?p=search (click the Go button).
That link can be found at the top of the Help & Support "Useful Links" list on the Member Centre home page.
David
Sebtomato
Rising Star

Yes indeed, a cease ticket has been raised, I guess when the BT system contacted Plusnet. I guess this will be sufficient to have a proof that termination was requested within the time allocated, as I want to avoid having arguments on cancellation fees.
Will I need to return the Plusnet router and OpenReach modem?
pwatson
Rising Star

No and no - The router belongs to you and the modem belongs to BT Openreach.  If you're moving to an ISP that doesn't supply an all in one router/modem you'll need the BT modem as you won't get a new one.
Sebtomato
Rising Star

Just received an automated email about moving my broadband to another supplier.
It's stating a charge of £40 for the remaining months of my contract...
ninteh
Dabbler

Quote from: Sebtomato
Just received an automated email about moving my broadband to another supplier.
It's stating a charge of £40 for the remaining months of my contract...

I just got a similar email today
After message the FB page plusnet
"I'm sorry to hear that happened. It looks like the agent didn't write off the remaining months. I've done that now and I can confirm you won't be charged the fee quoted in the e-mail ^MW"
chrcoluk
Grafter

be careful.
you want to migrate not cease your line.
dnpark38
Rising Star

When I moved from Sky to Plusnet, Plunet took charge of the transfer.
Only problem was Plusnet at first did not supply all the equipment I required, make sure your new provider will be supplying all you need for his service in advance of your migration date.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
Estragon
Rising Star

@Any Plusnet staff.
@I.T.Works and everyone.
Plusnet are wrong to say you must contact them to say you are exercising your right to leave because of the price rise.
The Ofcom provision that gives you the right to leave is General Condition 9.6, and this right is what the Plusnet email is notifying you of. However they seem to be ignoring Ofcom's Guidance on how GC9.6 is to be applied, in particular the following clauses.
A1.25 CPs should also keep in mind the need to comply with all their obligations under the General Conditions, including as to switching processes. This is particularly relevant where the rules provide for a gaining provider-led process under which a subscriber is able to switch providers by contacting a new provider and without needing to contact their existing one.
A1.26 Neither GC9.6 itself nor this guidance requires that a subscriber must exercise their rights under that condition by contacting their existing provider. One way the CP making contract modifications could meet its obligations in a relevant case is by telling the subscriber that the GC9.6 termination rights may be exercised by contacting a new provider.

As I read that, the email should say that you don't need to contact them about it, as it will be assumed you are exercising your GC9.6 rights. The email is not compliant with Ofcom's requirements.
As things  are, Plusnet seem to be trying to comply, but failing because they are not taking these two clauses into consideration. Only the main GC9.6 ones.
Edit - I've seen some posts where CS/COT or some other Plusnet location have said the email must be received before the customer sets a migration going. That would make sense  if the email were correctly worded, as a "no termination charge" on the account should be triggered by the sending of the email.