cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you switch to VOIP and keep both number and email address?

CWatters
Grafter

Can you switch to VOIP and keep both number and email address?

I understand that if Plusnet isnt going to offer VOIP we may have to port our landline phone number to another provider at some point before end 2025.

But doesn't that mean we would loose our broadband service which uses the same line (FTTC) and therefore our email address.

It seems we get to choose to keep either our phone number OR our email address but not both? 

Is there a way?

5 REPLIES 5
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Can you switch to VOIP and keep both number and email address?

@CWatters Although PN have decided not to offer a VoIP product, from information posted elsewhere on this forum, it appears that with effect from the end of this month, they have to  allow you to 'retain' the number for 31 days from your switch to FTTP to allow you to transfer it to a VoIP service.

How this will work in practice is anyone's guess, but I doubt it will be simple.

John
CWatters
Grafter

Unfortunately we are unlikely to get FTTP due to rural location.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Home Phone to My Account / Billing

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Unfortunately we are unlikely to get FTTP due to rural location.

I would assume the rules are not FTTP specific. They will likely apply in  a move to SoGEA ( fttc Broadband only ). Whilst Plusnet arent currently offering that, I suspect they will before long....

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

There is a whole heap of stuff which needs to be sorted out and there's not a lot of time to do it in!

Only a user who choses to migrate to FTTP immediately staying with Plusnet, they will lose their phone number.  Unless one is intent on migrating to FTTP now (or BT Wholesale / Openreach stop sell antics force such) then there is no immediate concern.

By the time that PTSN switch off arrives, there will have to be better options in place as simply switching to SOGEA (where there is no FTTP service) and losing the phone number (doing goodness knows what to CRM / account configurations) will simply be totally untenable for the ISP and user alike.

It is to be hoped that the Ofcom number portability requirements due to come into force very soon (!) will provide a means of porting the voice service away whilst leaving the existing broadband services (ADSL / VDSL and associated legacy services) intact.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.