Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't log into my account

FIXED
robbo6
Dabbler

Can't log into my account

When trying to log on to the plus.net website https://www.plus.net/member-centre/login

I get the following error :

Invalid username or password

Please try again. Make sure your browser allows cookies, otherwise you won't be able to log in.

I get the same message on my Ipad in Safari & on PC with chrome & Edge.  Browsing the forum I found a post mentioning special characters may be an issue, but I haven't changed the password & have previously accessed the site.

Hope you can help or do I need to phone ? 

12 REPLIES 12
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Can't log into my account

Fix

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to see you're unable to login to your account. While I understand you've said you've not previously changed your password can you go through the forgot password process to reset your password making sure not to use single or double quotes, spaces, @ signs, pound signs or backslashes.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DerwentMailman
Dabbler

I too have been struggling for a couple of days being unable to login.  I have changed my password several times including the separate one for this forum numerous times since having these difficulties.  Finally things have stuck and I can login to both my account and this forum.  The only that might be relevant is to use a totally different password to the one(s) that did work until yesterday!  What happened Plusnet? 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting in touch @DerwentMailman 

I'm sorry for the struggles you've had with logging into your account.

We've raised this and we're investigating further internally.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DerwentMailman
Dabbler

Now I can login to this forum but not to my account again.  This is starting to get tiresome!  Cmon PlusNet time to sort this out at your end.  Plenty of folks appear to be having the same issue.... EDIT but can login again ....

EDIT2:

You cannot login via the normal login url (this is when you get the message) it seems BUT when you select My Account from the top menu (next to community) you are OK.

robbo6
Dabbler

Thanks your message.  Have removed the "&" from my password & can now access the website, thank you.  Why a password that has worked for so long should stop working for website access but still allow me to connect to the internet seems rather strange to me. When changing the password the message does say that special characters are allowed, although not sure if the "&" was specifically mentioned.

DerwentMailman
Dabbler

Same repeatable behaviour existing this morning namely:

!)  Login via normal URL login fails

2) Login via 'Community' tab works

3) Accounts tab now available as I have logged in via the Community.

It looks like the first login fails but subsequent logins are OK.

I am a little concerned that my uber safe password that used to work until a few days ago somehow no longer worked because it used special characters.  These same characters allow us, as the user, a much more robust and secure password.  Not very happy that the workaround is to reset password using just letters and numbers.  If these special characters (£$ etc) are now no longer usable then the reset password page needs to be updated accordingly.

gw4dvb

Hi

New to plusnet

I cannot login to my account given the username and password details I was given

I have changed my password but it still says it is invalid - Now what Huh

Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Hello @gw4dvb

I am sorry to hear about the issues you are having with logging into your online members portal.

Just before you reset your password, can you please clear all cookies and caches on your web browser.

When you attempt to login again, can you please try using an alternative web browser. Hopefully, this may help resolve the issue.

Please let us know if the above steps have helped.

Best wishes.

gw4dvb

I overcame the issue by continually requesting a password change - eventually one stuck !!

I managed to get my modem to work - it lasted 8 hours before dropping the connection at 04:15 this morning and the modem is now reporting wrong user name and password although I can log into my online account fine !!

After 5 trouble free years with Talk-Talk maybe the move to Plusnet was not such a good idea.... 

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @gw4dvb,

I'm really sorry to hear that you've experienced this issue with your connection. Having taken a look into your account this evening I can see that you spoke to our Tech Support Team regarding this earlier on and that a fault was raised. However, looking into this, further diagnostic testing was run and the cause of the fault couldn't be found and I can see the connection's still down. At this stage I'd ask what troubleshooting you've carried out so that we can look to progress the fault investigation further.

If you haven't already then I'd recommend going through our online troubleshooting guide which can be found here. I would also strongly recommend setting your router up within the test socket in the property if it isn't already. For reference, we have a guide on how to do this here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
gw4dvb

Thanks for your reply...

I have tested the connection through the test socket without success 

The error i am getting is that the user name / password is showing as incorrect despite it having worked for 8 hours the night before... and that I can log into my online account with the same credentials.

i have been a customer of yours since Monday and have had rubbish service from you guys...

The problem seems to be your end not mine !!

i have the option to go back to Talk-Talk within the next few weeks 

Please let me know if you are able to resolve your issue. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @gw4dvb I'm sorry to see you're experiencing connection problems. Our tests are showing your router has the correct username in, but there are no incorrect password attempts coming through to us. 

Based on this and what you've said it looks like this may be what's known as a crossed jumpering fault at the exchange and/or cabinet which we'd need to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further and get to the bottom of.

Having said that I can see our suppliers cleared a fault on your line at around 4pm yesterday afternoon so before we arrange an engineer I just want to double check that we've done everything we can since then first.

Can you log into your router settings one more time at http://192.168.1.254 navigate to Advanced Settings, click on the Broadband tab and try reconnecting once more ensuring the username is in the format of username@plusdsl.net and the password is your account password you use to log in to your account online with.

If you're still unable to connect after a few minutes can you then try a factory reset of your router by pushing a paperclip into the reset pinhole at the back for 20 seconds then wait around 5 to 10 minutes.

If that doesn't get you online then we'll need to arrange an engineer visit to progress the fault and I'd recommend responding to this ticket with your availability so we can get the appointment booked. The reason we'd need to arrange a visit is because that's the only way we can progress a fault with our suppliers should line tests not pin point an external fault.

I think the main reason for this is because if line tests don't show exactly where about on the line the fault is then an engineer would need to test from your master telephone socket to try to determine where the issue lies. Feel free to nudge us over here once you've responded or let us know how it goes and we'll be happy to pick this back up as soon as we can.

Thanks again.

Moderators Note: Corrected wording to make it more coherent at staff members request. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet