cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can my wife become a new customer with plusnet ?

hc1200
Hooked

Can my wife become a new customer with plusnet ?

I currently am with asdl plusnet on contract which finishes on February 2022 and have received a renewal offer which is not good at all.
(I am happy with my adsl and do not wanna move to fiber. )
Looking around the cashback sites, being a new customer is cheaper and more cashback is offered so can my wife become a new customer with plusnet ?
As currently I am the bill payer and the one with the contract with Plusnet.
14 REPLIES 14
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Re: Can my wife become a new customer with plusnet ?

Good morning @hc1200, thanks for getting in touch.

Technically speaking, yes she can, there's nothing stopping her from placing an order. Although at the moment, the telephone number on your line is registered to you, so she'd need to sign up, and have orders placed, with a new number, to take over the line that ou already have at the property.

We wouldn't simply migrate the services from one account to another for a new customer deal.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
hc1200
Hooked

So would placing a new order and getting a new number cost her anything ? (The landline number is not important to us as its not even used )
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

There wouldn't be any additional fees so to speak, she'd just need to pay the initial fee that all customers do during the sign up journey. Bare in mind as well that if YOUR account is taken over prior to the end of your contract, you'll incur early termination charges.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
hc1200
Hooked

How much is the sign up fee ?
Just wanna weigh it up against the cashback and whether it's worth it.
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

@hc1200  Hi there, welcome to the forum! Yes, Plusnet always tries to renew at top whack, you need to call them after Christmas. Before that try one of the comparison sites and see what is available, chances are you will be offered fibre at the same price as ADSL which is being phased out anyway -- Pnet charged me an extra penny per month to renew with FTTC.

Then ring Pnet and ask them for a new contract at the same price as offered to new customers, otherwise you're off to another ISP. Others on this forum have obtained this without problem, but if you don't ask you won't get. You're unlikely to get the signup cashback.

Unfortunately for us, Ofcom has allowed all ISPs to increase their charges every March by 3.9% plus inflation which seems to be over 5%, so we're all in for a hefty price rise next year. Of course wages and my pension won't go up but don't start me on that ☹️

Happy Christmas everyone!

hc1200
Hooked

Cheers buddy nice to be here.
Thanks for the calling tip , I'll do that 👍. If you hadn't mentioned it I'd not have bothered and would've just jumped ship,but I'll give them a chance to keep me as a customer and call them after Christmas.
hc1200
Hooked

So basically if they do offer me the new customer rate , then they will not include the £70 gift card is that what you're saying?
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

We do sometimes offer cashback to existing customers. I’d recommend calling Customer Options on 0800 013 2632 as they’re the best folk to help when renewing.

If you go through with creating a new account, you can find the signup costs here https://www.plus.net/broadband/ and make sure you don’t tell us your existing landline number otherwise we won’t be able to process the order. 

I hope this helps. Also, Merry Christmas. Smiley

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
hc1200
Hooked

Hi thanks for your replies so far.
I tried talking to the 0800 013 2632 but they are only giving it at £17.99 and no £70 reward card either.

I got conflicting answers about when I could leave, the lady I spoke to today said only after 4th February while the person I spoke to before said I'd have to put in notice 2 weeks before.
I thought as my contract finishes on 4th February 2022 I could leave from January 5th.

Please advise.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @hc1200

It was worth a try though I did say I couldn't promise we can do cashback as it's not something we offer all the time. 

In theory you can leave anytime with 14 days notice, but if you leave before your contract ends we'll charge a termination fee. If you have paid upfront in advance, then we'll also refund for unused subscription fees.

As a pro-rata termination fee is generally lower than a pro-rata subscription fee, you'd get money back (unless of course there are other things on your final bill like outstanding call charges)

Let me know if this doesn't make sense though or if you've got further queries.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
hc1200
Hooked

Yes please explain further.

Basically you're saying that I should leave before the 4th February instead of after it as after the fees will be higher right ?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

It's up to you but if you leave before your contract end date, we'll charge you a pro-rata termination fee as well as refund any unused subscription fees you may have paid us in advance for a service you've not had. 

If you leave after your contract then you'll be charged the out of contract costs which are generally higher. 

To avoid both termination fees and out of contract costs, you can try setting the transfer for the day after your contract ends though as that's a Saturday, it may not be possible so the 4th February might be a good compromise. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Do not take the first offer made by COTS if it does not give you what you want.  As an existing customer, getting something close to what new users get might be achievable, but also getting a reward card is asking a bit much.

In your conversation with COTS you might suggest that the cost of losing your account and setting up a new account is more than the cost of the reward card...

Note - if your wife takes out a service with Plusnet, it will be a new account ... are you using Plusnet's email services?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hc1200
Hooked

I don't use any of the plusnet email services and will try as you suggest tomorrow and see what they say , thanks for the advice.