cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I refer myself?

craigyoung
Grafter

Can I refer myself?

Well, not quite.  My wife wants to get her dad broadband for his birthday.  She'll pay for it all (probably for eternity), but it threw up a few questions -
Is it ok for someone to set up broadband on a line they don't own and that wouldn't match up to the billing address?
Could service emails be sent to an email address other than the SquirrelMail one which would be set up for her dad?
If she decided to only pay for a year, could this be done upfront, as a lump sum payment?
If she decides to pay for it forever, can the cost just be added to our account, or does it need to remain separate.  ie can one person have two broadband orders on a single account?
If so, can I refer myself for the second line? 
The main thing is for her dad not to get emails saying 'your bill is now due' sort of thing, so would like any admin/emails/paperwork to be directed to ourselves (until we decide differently).
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Can I refer myself?

Is it ok for someone to set up broadband on a line they don't own and that wouldn't match up to the billing address?
Yes.  I do this with our Church broadband at the moment.
Could service emails be sent to an email address other than the SquirrelMail one which would be set up for her dad?
You can set up as many email accounts as you like.
If she decided to only pay for a year, could this be done upfront, as a lump sum payment?
No idea on that one, though I think you used to be able to.
If she decides to pay for it forever, can the cost just be added to our account, or does it need to remain separate.  ie can one person have two broadband orders on a single account?
Nope, though it has been asked for a number of times.  You would need to have 2 accounts, though both could have the same billing details on them.
If so, can I refer myself for the second line? 
Yes (unless you want to put me down for it  Wink :D)
The main thing is for her dad not to get emails saying 'your bill is now due' sort of thing, so would like any admin/emails/paperwork to be directed to ourselves (until we decide differently).
These emails go to 2 different email addresses.  The one you specify when setting up the account, and postmaster@username.plus.com.  As long as her dad isn't using one of those addresses he'll never receive anything from Plusnet.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

James
Grafter

Hiya,
If it's a residential account, we'd only allow a monthly subscription payment.
Other than that, Phil's spot on.
craigyoung
Grafter

Thanks guys.  Helpful as always.
Smiley
paulby
Grafter

These emails go to 2 different email addresses.  The one you specify when setting up the account, and postmaster@username.plus.com.  As long as her dad isn't using one of those addresses he'll never receive anything from Plusnet.

I'd set up your father-in-law's own e-mail address in a different mailbox to the mailbox that the postmaster address points to though.
The default firstname@username.plus.com e-mail address points to the same mailbox as postmaster@username.plus.com.  Billing mail etc., as mentioned earlier in this thread, is sent to both postmaster@username.plus.com and the e-mail address specified on the account details page in the member centre which is, by default, the one used during sign-up (which isn't necessarily a PN address although the address can be changed).  
If you let your father-in-law use the default address assigned by PN he would see the billing detail as (as I've already mentioned) it uses the same mailbox as the postmaster address and all mail from that mailbox would be collected by his e-mail program.
You can add another mailbox, which would ensure that his mail would be entirely separate, by going to "Manage My Mail" in the member centre.
julesandtash
Grafter

I bought broadband for my mum and dad as their crimbo present with it billed to my account exactly as you are looking to do.
Absolutely no problems at all, and I've got the referral (although as they are only on value I'm ony getting 25p off).