Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I change my username

BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Can I change my username

@poppy
Whois lookups give basic information about the person / business that has registered a domain. Try entering one on this site: http://whois.domaintools.com/
I've checked your account and there's only one domain listed, which two are you referring to?
The domain on your account displays your name but not your address. We can remove this if you like, just ask.
Not applicable

Thank you - yes, would like name removing as well please.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've created ticket 34235476 on your account and passed it to our Hosting Team, they will action it shortly, then it will take 24-48 hours to update.
andun84
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: BenTrimble
Quote from: andun84
I take it I just raise a ticket.

We'll get this sorted for you, you'll see the ticket on your account shortly.

Thanks for the getting the ticket raised Ben.
andun84
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Just to update this particular thread so no one else raises tickets needlessly to get their registration name removed. This is not possible.
Please see the response to the ticket raised regarding this:
Please accept our apologies, it seems that addresses can be removed form whois but a name must be displayed for the domain registration. This is as per regulations set out by Nominet who are the regulatory body for .uk domains.
It would be possible to change the registration name by contacting Nominet directly. Please bear in mind that this would put the new registrant in the position of being responsible for the use and the administration of that address.

I'm not looking to change who the registrant is as I still wish to assert ownership of the domain however I believe nominet's requirements in this regard for private individuals is unsustainable as what benefit does it actually provide them. A name alone is of little benefit without an address therefore for something that is essentially useless on its own then to have a requirement seems like having a rule for the sake of it. To me there is no difference between a domain which is properly registered with nominet which shows in whois as registrant: private individual and one which states my name. What asserts my ownership is my registration with nominet and that is confirmed by them by letter to me. My payment details are held on file which are enough to confirm my identity as it presently is therefore it adds not one jot to proving who I am. So again I see no reason for it. Anyway that's my view and I'm not aiming this in any way at Plusnet as this is nothing to do with them however in the context of thread I just wanted to make the point.
As a matter of interest anybody see any good reason why private individuals should have to have their names on whois?
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm sure we've got around this by changing the registrant's name to 'Plusnet', let me investigate and see what I can find...
Edit: I've had confirmation that Nominet won't allow a change of registrant name because this marks the legal owner. If we were to change it, there would be no method to ensure the domain was returned to it's rightful owner in the event of a dispute.