Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I change my username

andun84
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Can I change my username

Can I change my broadband username (not my forum username)? It identifies me and I no longer would like that.
20 REPLIES 20
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Can I change my username

In the past it has been very difficult if not impossible and could mean a new account as the username is linked into a number of Plusnet's systems including billing.
One of the Digital Care Team will advise on the current situation.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Not applicable

As Strat has said, this hasn't been permitted in the past because it is too labour-intensive.  If you are on homephone too then it is not possible at all (or so I was told).
If it is just for the purpose of email I would suggest that a solution would be to purchase a domain name (not very expensive) and then your username is known to nobody but yourself and PN.
I wasn't keen on my email address and now have my own domain which is much better, particularly as it is less long-winded.
andun84
Rising Star

Quote from: poppy
If it is just for the purpose of email I would suggest that a solution would be to purchase a domain name (not very expensive) and then your username is known to nobody but yourself and PN.
I wasn't keen on my email address and now have my own domain which is much better, particularly as it is less long-winded.

That's actually the reason why I want to change my username as I have a domain which I was previously only using for email however I now wish to use it for a blog that I want to run from my home pc and therefore because my ip address will be linked to my account then it will identify me if anyone does an ip search. That is correct isn't it?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Ah, so at the moment when someone does a lookup on your IP they get a result similar to username.plus.com ?
If that's the case, we can change that for you so it reads something along the lines of ipaddress.plus.com, if you'd like us to do that just visit the help assistant, raise a question and ask us to change the reverse DNS to your IP address.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
andun84
Rising Star

Chris you have it right. That would indeed sort the issue. I will raise the ticket as advised.
Thanks
jim:quote
Not applicable

Sorry - didn't know the exact nature of the problem.  Embarrassed
I had the same thing a few years ago - happily, it was changed quite quickly by PN.
andun84
Rising Star

No worries poppy. I didn't explain why I wanted the change therefore you were not to know. Thanks for responding in the first place.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@andun84 That's now been done for you Smiley it'll take 24 hours or so to propagate though.
andun84
Rising Star

Thanks Matt
andun84
Rising Star

Thanks the change has been made however big spanner in the works became apparent when I done my whois check is terms of any chance at anonymity and that is my name as registrant right up there for all the world to see. Forgot about that one. Not sure what purpose it serves as surely if the police need to know who owns the site they can just get it from the domain regstrar. Best laid plans and all that. Oh well.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

if the police need to know who owns the site...
guilty conscience there andun84? Wink
Seriously if you do want us to remove your details from whois please let us know
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
andun84
Rising Star

Grin Grin
As it is going to be a blog I treat it much the same way as I would any forum by wanting to hide behind an air of anonymonity  Embarrassed
I take it I just raise a ticket.
dick:quote
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: andun84
I take it I just raise a ticket.

We'll get this sorted for you, you'll see the ticket on your account shortly.
Not applicable

I don't understand this whois business so please could someone explain?
I have two domains and they both give my name though not address.
I thought that with my Plusnet one I had opted out of having name and address displayed.
Can this not be done?  Huh