Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

@CRT - migration and cancellation - industry protocols

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@CRT - migration and cancellation - industry protocols

I'd like answers from just CRT / PlusNet please so that advice given to users by community members can be verified to be correct.
@Mods if you think there is a better place for this question please move it.

There have been numerous incidences reported on here of a migrating customer who end up without phone and or broadband when migrating IN to PlusNet because they had cancelled the service with their previous supplier.  The consequential general advice has been "Do not advise your existing provider that you are terminating service with them / moving to a different supplier, that will be facilitated by the migrations process".
It occurs to me that all suppliers - PlusNet included - require that customers give a period of notice that they intend to "terminate" their service.  PlusNet's cancellation policy seems to show flexibility and distinction between cancellation and migration, however, if a user follows the advice above which the forums have offered to migrating in users, would a "unsolicited" migration request from PlusNet to the loosing party be adequate "termination" notice compliant with that party's T&Cs?
If not then may be this advice needs moderation?
Advising the loosing party that one intends to "move away" all too often results in them doing an unhelpful service cease giving rise to delays in what ought to be a no-break migration.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

2 REPLIES 2
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: @CRT - migration and cancellation - industry protocols

A good question
In relation to Broadband the request for a MAC should trigger the notice period which then lapses if it isn't used - this is certainly the case with Plusnet
In relation to Home Phone there isn't a similar system so I can only assume that the notice period starts from the time the losing provider is advised of the move - 10 days before it happens

I have moved this to Accounts and Billing as that is where I think is most appropriate
Aled
Dabbler

Re: @CRT - migration and cancellation - industry protocols

Hey Kevin,
I'm going to stick my neck out on this one! We need 14 days notice to cancel a contract but generally only apply this when we're placing a cease ourselves (I think paragraphs 46. & 47. from the <a href="http://www.plus.net/terms">General Terms</a> sum it up if you like that kind of thing).
If we receive a working line takeover notification (phone and broadband on the same day), which I think is what your asking about, we'll close down the account and work out the final bill based on the date you transfer - regardless of whether you speak to us or not. Obviously you'll never have to worry about that if you never leave! Wink
"Do not advise your existing provider that you are terminating service with them / moving to a different supplier, that will be facilitated by the migrations process" is sound advice as far as Plusnet's concerned. I can't explicitly speak for any other companies, but my understanding is that they can only charge for services not rendered if their terms specifically say so. Also the whole point of the notification process is that the losing provider has an opportunity to retain their customer - just as if they had given notice.
Hope this answers your question!
Aled