cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband/phone swap from BT to plusnet - extra charges ?

furryconker
Dabbler

Broadband/phone swap from BT to plusnet - extra charges ?

Evening Smiley
I thought I'd ask here as well as the customer services link seeing as they are lucky enough to be Mon-Fri people  Shocked
We joined plusnet late in September with our broadband being swapped first followed by our phone (which actually went live yesterday).
Very impressed with how smooth everything went up until today.
We received an e-mail from BT today (after we queried the "final" bill they wanted us to pay which included a broadband payment for Oct-Nov as well as a phone service for the same period) saying the following :
"....you were advised that your contract ended on the 09.10.2014 with us this included broadband. If your broadband services stopped in September you will be liable for charges if we backdate the termination of services. This procedure was not followed correctly by your new supplier, if you were receiving broadband from them at the end of September. If indeed the broadband service was supplied by your new provider since September then this will incur a termination charge of £30. The charge is required for an engineer to physically disconnect a broadband line at your exchange as your new provider did not take over the line we had installed for you but provided a new one of their own.

The correct procedure is to obtain a MAC code from us to transfer your broadband to your new provider this procedure does not incur a charge. You were informed of the MAC code and the process and the charges associated on the call that you made to us on the 30.09.2014."

Now as it states at the end we did receive a MAC code (eventually after lots of chasing....) and we DID input this onto the plusnet website where asked to with the account pages. Yet now we are being told this wasn't used.
This all feel rather strange and erm "convenient" and I like to just be able to get some confirmation (hopefully ?) that plusnet did indeed use the MAC code and that BT are just trying to fleece us of a few more pounds. I was under the impression the £30 cessation few was purely made by BT wholesale when removing Broadband entirely ? We had BT one day and plusnet the next....worked like clockwork....no issues at all.
I feel a bit tight but the last couple of conversations I had with BT discussed tiny charges of like 80p because we were so close to the end of the contract but £30 is £30 esp if we did everything correctly !
Any advice ?
2 REPLIES 2
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Re: Broadband/phone swap from BT to plusnet - extra charges ?

Hi Furryconker and welcome to the Forum.
Looks like an error in the migration process but you are unlikely to get a response from a PlusNet agent until after the weekend. I would suggest that you raise a Ticket (Question) in the Help tab of the Member Centre and copy/ paste your post there so that it is logged.
I am sure that one of the agents will pick this up on Monday and sort it out for you. Have a nice weekend.
W-N
AlexD
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Broadband/phone swap from BT to plusnet - extra charges ?

Morning furryconker.
Sorry to hear of the issues you're having at the moment.
I have checked our order applications and I can see that the MAC code was accepted and submitted on 05/09/2014 in the evening. Due to the applications that we use, we need a MAC code to take over the broadband should you wish to keep the same number and our suppliers won't allow us to bypass this service. I'm really unsure as to why BT are trying to charge you.
I will also reply to the ticket that you've raised and hopefully BT will review this and generate the correct final balance for you.
If you require any more information from us, please let us know Smiley
Hoping you're having a lovely weekend.
Alex.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex D
 Plusnet Help Team