cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband overcharging - £150 per month!

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Re: Broadband overcharging - £150 per month!

Hi, let me start of by saying that I understand the frustrations of the OP nobody likes to get a bill for more than they expect, and whilst I won't go into account specific information for obvious reasons I will tell you about the process and clear up a few things.

When customers sign up we ask them for an email address and specify clearly that that is how we will contact them in the majority of cases anything from notification of bills right up to any changes in the prices of the products that they have with us.

Extra usage is charged for at the rate of £5.00 per 5GB, every time a customer uses even a tiny amount over their limit then £5.00 is added,  sending letters is a very expensive method of communication for us. They're also slow, if we sent you a letter to advise that you'd gone over your usage then you'd likely have gone over again before you received it and as such we send emails that you can access instantly. We send them when you're getting close to your usage limit & we send them for every single additional 5GB that you're charged for.

To be overcharged by £150.00 per month such as the title of this thread suggests you'd have to be charged for 30 additional blocks at 5GB a go. That's not possible, we cap all extra usage charges at £100.00. Its been mentioned elsewhere in this thread that we should do more and Gas/Electric companies have been mentioned as examples, I'm able to confirm this isn't the case and they don't cap usage or bills. Here's what we do:

• Cap addition usage at £100.00
  • Email every time the customer is charged an additional £5.00
  • Provide the facility to the customer to cap their bills at any amount they'd like (Data Transfer Cap)

Written communication in this instance may have made a difference, it may not have, just like email the fact we send it doesn't mean it's read. Calling the customer to advise them they're going over brings its own issues as you've already discussed but it's also really hard to get through to the right person and clear DPA with them.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
marthatorres
Dabbler

Thanks Jono. All valid points.

For the record, multiple £150 bills consisted of max payment of £100 for data + £50 for the broadband package..

JonoH
Hero

If you do need anything in the future though @marthatorres just post here or drop me a PM, always happy to help Smiley

Jono H
marthatorres
Dabbler

Thank you, much appreciated.

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

@JonoH

Thanks for clarifying the situation.

Do you have any information regarding how many customers are still on legacy metered data products, and whether such customers could either be given higher data allowances or offered no detriment moves to un-metered products without incurring a product change?

My other car isn't a Ferrari
JonoH
Hero

@maranello wrote:

Do you have any information regarding how many customers are still on legacy metered data products,

I don't have this info to hand, but I can tell you that its a small and shrinking percentage of the base, we haven't offered these products for some time and we proactively market some of these customers and all of them are able to see the deals on our website when they go to check their bills.

and whether such customers could either be given higher data allowances or offered no detriment moves to un-metered products without incurring a product change?

It's unfortunately not as easy as it sounds to just remove the cap from the existing products but moving to an unlimited product is almost never detrimental as metered products are all legacy and so have no discounts applied. You may have seen on these boards I've been trying to engage with people on metered products looking at their accounts and seeing what we can do to move them to current products. 

If anyone reading this is on a metered product and wants to explore what we can offer to move to unlimited, drop me a PM with some details so I can find your account and I'd be happy to help.

Jono H
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

@JonoH

Great news all round, thanks.

I've sent you a PM.

My other car isn't a Ferrari