cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband (existing) contract but switch line rental to different provider

davidwhitmill

Broadband (existing) contract but switch line rental to different provider

Hi

My LRS runs out next month but BB runs until June 19.

Don't want to renew and be tied in to another LRS as can get much cheaper at Post Office @£11.50/month or £15.90 inc BB

If I take Line Rental with Post Office what are the implications/cost on my existing Plusnet BB contract (currently £1/month)?

Or if i cancel altogether, are cancellation charges calculated on a daily basis or is even a part month charged at full rate? (my charge is £3.66/month i believe)

Many Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Broadband (existing) contract but switch line rental to different provider

Welcome to the forums @davidwhitmill

While you wait for a member of staff to help, I would like to caution you about just moving the line rental to the Post Office (or any firm).

I believe that the Post Office run their phone lines through LLU (Local Loop Unbundling) in most of the exchanges. And that would mean that they are no longer on the Openreach network so the Plusnet Fibre wouldn't work.

You need to move the phone line to a company that uses the Openreach network at the exchange to keep a working Plusnet broadband.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hello @davidwhitmill, I have created a ticket on the account with further info here.

davidwhitmill

@SpendLessTime wrote:

Welcome to the forums @davidwhitmill

While you wait for a member of staff to help, I would like to caution you about just moving the line rental to the Post Office (or any firm).

I believe that the Post Office run their phone lines through LLU (Local Loop Unbundling) in most of the exchanges. And that would mean that they are no longer on the Openreach network so the Plusnet Fibre wouldn't work.

You need to move the phone line to a company that uses the Openreach network at the exchange to keep a working Plusnet broadband.

i'm not on fibre.

davidwhitmill

what if i take line rental with another provider but remain on my plusnet BB contract?

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

The LLU works with ADSL or normal broadband too. It is the way the phone line is connected at the exchange that is important. So you need to be sure that the phone company you choose will not cause your Plusnet broadband to stop working. So that company must not use LLU in your exchange.

Yes Plusnet do allow you to have a phone line elsewhere and still retain your Plusnet Broadband. BUT they will increase your Broadband bill by £2.50 a month for having broadband only.

Hopefully a staff member will come along and offer more advice.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hello @davidwhitmill, while we offer broadband only accounts I would suggest calling our Customer Options team to discuss the pricing as this changes weekly. You can reach them on 0800 013 2632. I cannot recommend companies but I can point you in the direction of BT as a phone line provider. Let us know how you get on.