cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Usage

JohntheMet

Broadband Usage

Good Day.
I'm on an unlimited contract and until 29th September 2014 my useage was displayed on the "View Your Broadband" page, since that date nothing has been logged.
Does anyone know if this reflects a new Plusnet policy of which I'm not aware or does Plusnet have a problem?
Cheers
11 REPLIES 11
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Broadband Usage

Hi there JohntheMet,
It sounds like this could be related to a known problem 76176.
Let me dig a little deeper and get back to you.
UPDATE:
Cheers for your patience!
After reviewing this further we think disconnecting from the internet and reconnecting should hopefully resolve it. Please refer to this page if you need any guidance and do let us know how you get on: http://www.plus.net/reboot
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
JohntheMet

Good Evening Adam.
Thank you for the research and subsequent reply, I'll keep you posted with developments.
I perfomed a router reset this evening as it had become unresponsive;  I find this happens after the router has been powered for more than 35 days; firmware?
JohntheMet
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Damned if I know why it happens but I get the same symptoms
JohntheMet

Good Day Each.
First a reply to Adam.
Looking at my router's "stats" it would appear that a reset produces a warm reboot, despite that I can't see any useage stats.
JohntheMet
Now Oldjim.
When you say "but I get the same symptoms", are you talking about the lack of usege stats or your are you concuring about the router becoming unresponsive after being powered up with no firmware reboot for long periods?
Because, historically, I've had such a poor line because of poor BT infrastructure I keep a log of SNR, sync time, throughput and ping.  The sync and SNR stats mean that I'm continually accessing my router and because of this
I've set up shortcuts aid the process. After a warm or cold reboot my router access time from me requesting data to it appearing on my screen is about 3 seconds, after 43 days (latest figure from my router log) this extends to as much
as 45 seconds and then it becomes totally unresponsive which then entails either a reset or a cold reboot which sorts the problem until the next time.
I'm no software expert but if others are experiencing the same problem it looks like the Technicolor TG582n could do with a firmware upgrade or are we expected to live with it; Oh I can be so synical.
Cheers
JohntheMet
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Mine seems to have stopped showing usage too, from last Sunday 5th 'Peak' hours. Only just noticed when I went to see how much had been used this month and it was a lot less than I expected to see.
Not sure when I last rebooted before today, when we had the disconnections earlier and I tried rebooting before I rang and got the message saying there was an outage.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Mine is working fine.
JohntheMet

Hi Mad Moggies and Chandu.
My View Your Broadband Useage is still not functioning despite a resync, to be frank, I'm not too fussed as I'm on Unlimited so it doesn't matter that much to me.  What is a pain it is my router seizing up, maybe I should consider
myself lucky that my router stays in sync long enough for this problem to become apparent.
I saw the outage Emails from Support this afternoon Mad Moggies but I wasn't one that was clobbered, do you know if it was Plusnet's Pipe that went down again or was it because of a BT outage, if it was that Pipe it is falling over far too often and needs sorting?
Cheers
JohntheMet 
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

I'm on Unlimited now but I still like to keep an eye on how much we're using. Never had it not record before though.
After going over to fibre, the Technicolor router I had from PN sometimes lost the internet connection, even though it looked as though it was connected, so had to be rebooted. Bought a better router and that doesn't have the problem.
JohntheMet

Hi Mad Moggies.
Thank you for the information.  If I become really cheesed-off I might take the new router option, bye the way, would you be prepared to say what router you bought as you paid out for it yourself that would be a good recommendation?

JohntheMet
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Taking a look at View My Usage this morning and it looks like rebooting the router and the BT fibre modem yesterday (before I rang PN and heard the message that there was an outage) may have done the trick in that it recorded usage for the rest of yesterday and overnight, though there's still nothing showing yet for this morning since 8.00am.
New router is a Netgear Nighthawk R7000, which plugs into the BT fibre modem. I always had Netgear for ADSL so am used to how all the settings work and find them reliable. The R7000 isn't cheap (price varies a lot and I got it on a special offer) but it has a good wireless range, which suits our large bungalow.
JohntheMet

Good Afternoon Mad Moggies.
Thank you for going to the trouble to pass on your information, it is much appreciated.
For info I'm on ADSL but am considering FTTC and have talk anytime, I live alone so I'm not pushed for bandwidth.  I use all of the Ethernet ports on my Technicolor for TV, PVRs and a Blue-ray player, having the Blue-ray player online has been useful as Panasonic has provided 3 firmware updates since I bought the player back in 2009, these have speeded up operation especially when playing Blue-ray discs.
Cheers and thanks again.
Johnthhe Met