cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband PAYG versus Plusnet Pro

akrae

Broadband PAYG versus Plusnet Pro

Hi,
I've been subscribed to PAYG for 5+ years and am currently paying £14.99 for a 2GB usage allowance plus an additional £1.50 for a further 2GB (i.e. £16.49 for 4GB). I typically exceed this limit twice a year incurring a penalty each time.
I've considered switching to cheaper packages (e.g. value or extra) but have always been deterred by the documented traffic management policies and in particular the tables showing download speed rate limiting.
According to the Broadband Product Archive "PAYG experience", rate limiting is not applied to PAYG (shown as NR in the corresponding table). This is the only reason that I have remained with this otherwise more expensive package.
I am now looking to stream iPlayer to my TV and 4GB is clearly insufficient. On reviewing Plusnet's current packages, I note that Plusnet Pro is quoted as providing line speed at all times and has a 20GB limit for exactly the same fee that I am currently paying for 4GB. Clearly this is a better deal, and had I switched to this package sooner it would at the very least have provided me with more download headroom and enabled me to avoid any penalties for exceeding my very modest 4GB allowance on PAYG. If however, Pro is in fact a superior service then it would appear that I have been misled by the website guidance and have been paying a premium price for a standard package for several years.
My questions are:
Are PAYG and Pro managed identically in terms of download speeds?
Aside from the higher 20GB limit does Pro confer any advantages over PAYG?
Assuming I switch online, when will this take effect, and will it affect my existing contract duration or incur any additional fee. (I do not require a modem and I don't currently have any contract.)
Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: Broadband PAYG versus Plusnet Pro

AFAIK, both PAYG and Pro have the same traffic management.
I don't believe Pro comes with included webspace, or some of the other extras that were once offered.  However, if you currently use any of the existing offerings, they will be transferred over.
The change will usually take effect from your next billing date, and will not incur a new contract if you are not taking any new hardware.
B.
akrae

Thanks for your reply Barry.
It's reassuring to know that I have not been needlessly paying for PAYG without the benefit of preferential traffic management.
If someone from Plusnet can confirm this and that the extras will carry over to a Pro package, I will make the switch.
AR
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Everything Barry said is correct, which is why I didn't add anything Smiley