Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Only - No Deals

steed
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Broadband Only - No Deals

Been with Plusnet for nearly 15 years and was looking to upgrade an old legacy product to the unlimited broadband option, but it seems that I would have to sign up for a 12 month contract for £12.49 a month, or £14.99 for no contract.
Since I am half way through my line rental saver with BT, if I add unlimited broadband to BT it will cost £5 x 12 months + £6.99 for the hub. £69.99 for the year.
With Plusnet it will cost £149.88 for the year.
Is the wholesale price for broadband structured so there is no room for discounts unless you take line rental as well?
So line rental (which ever company you are with) is the cash cow we are all paying extra for, since it seems that is the area where discounts are off-set against?
So I would be wasting my time looking for a discount on a Broadband only product then.
5 REPLIES 5
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Broadband Only - No Deals

I think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head there.  Cry
For specific technical service-related reasons my phone line HAS to be with BT.
I've NEVER used them for broadband and as things in the phone/broadband market are currently structured can't see that I will anytime soon.
So I just have to accept paying a premium compared to most.  Sad
At least with PlusNet I have managed to mitigate the costs slightly with referrals.  Cool
pwatson
Rising Star

It's not the wholesale pricing of broadband that's the issue, it's the retail price.  A majority of broadband providers compete on the headline price of the broadband component and blatantly subsidise this by the inflated cost of line rental. 
In Plusnet's case, if they can't get that subsidy from you they charge you an extra £2.50/month and will only sell you broadband at the list price. 
steed
Rising Star

Thanks for the replies.
It seems mad that Plusnet are offering unlimited broadband free for a year plus £75 cashback, as long as you pay for line rental £16.99.
So they can afford to give away (£9.99 x 12 months) £119.88 + £75 = £194.88 for a payment of (£16.99 x 12 months) £203.88.
Net cost for a years broadband £9.
New Customers Only  Roll_eyes
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

"New customers only ::)"
Not necessarily. Wink Smiley
steed
Rising Star

Agreed, but you have to take line rental.
dick:quote