Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Cease Retaining Home Phone

FIXED
hillyfields123
Grafter

Broadband Cease Retaining Home Phone

After many years with PN, I have dared to leave the flock and upgrade to full fibre with another provider. I've deliberately left my existing PN FTTC service running alongside the new fibre service as I'll be porting the landline number across to a VOIP provider and didn't want it all happening at once!

So to save a bit of money, I figured that while I'm getting the VOIP all sorted, I might as well get the broadband on the line ceased as I'm not using it anymore... 

Apparently I can't do this, as the PN broadband and line rental are a package and must be cancelled together! I am quite shocked that PN wouldn't be able to downgrade me to a "line only" package, especially as they're still billing me separately for line rental!

Anyone able to shed any light?

3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 425

Re: Broadband Cease Retaining Home Phone

Fix

Apparently I can't do this, as the PN broadband and line rental are a package and must be cancelled together!

@hillyfields123 That's been the case with PN and most other ISP's for a long time now. In fact I THINK the only ISP that will allow a phone only service is BT Retail (and that's probably due to their USO).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hillyfields123
Grafter

That's disappointing but I suppose in line with the overall trend of reduced landline usage and the phase out of analogue copper phone lines. 

Worth a try...! Thanks for your help.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 425

@hillyfields123 Note that when you wish to port your number to voip, don't cancel directly with Plusnet. Just request your chosen voip provider to port the number, when the port completes it will automatically cease your landline and the associated FTTC and close your Plusnet account.

Alos, if you were thinking of requesting a port shortly, some providers are delaying ports until the new year. My guess is that they don't want to have to sort porting problems during the hols , with the potential to leave people without service.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.