cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Cease Fee - Why?

poohbear1
Hooked

Broadband Cease Fee - Why?

I've been a Plusnet user for many years and am about to move house. Ridiculously complicated and if I stay with Plusnet I'm told I must sign up for a 24 month contract - currently, I'm on a 1 month rolling contract.

I dislike the idea of fixed, long term communications contracts so am not inclined to remain with Plusnet if I'm going to be forced into a 24 month contract.

What really bugs me is that if I end my rolling contract, I'm going to be charged a £30 'cessation' fee!!

What does 'rolling contract' mean if I'm being charged to leave it ....

22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Broadband Cease Fee - Why?

I'm not expert on the vagaries of Plusnet but logic tells me that if you're on a rolling one month contract then all you need give is 1 month's notice and no fees should be incurred. Or am I missing something?

poohbear1
Hooked

Exactly what logic tells me ...

However, I'm told that to stop my 1 month rolling contract, there's a £30 'cease' fee ...

I assume this is hidden away in the small print that telecom companies rely on nobody reading.

poohbear1
Hooked

Finally found the explanation hidden away on the Plusnet web site. It seems that it is a charge imposed by BT for removing the broadband connection on the landline ...

BT/Plusnet then, no doubt, charge the new house owner to reconnect broadband ... which was never removed anyway ...

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

There isn't a cease fee if you migrate to another ISP using the BT network and the gaining provider follows correct procedures.

Unless, of course you cancel with Plusnet first.

Reasons for a cease charge

• A broadband account is cancelled (without switching providers)
  • Switching to a service that is not supplied via the BT Wholesale network
  • The telephone line used to provide broadband is cut off
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

You can research a new provider looking carefully at their house move charges; migrate to your new provider before your move.

Ian

poohbear1
Hooked

Going to have a big row about this, I know - I have switched providers, to BT at the new address.

poohbear1
Hooked

Except only exchanged contracts on 27/05 and will complete on 13/06. Insufficient time to change provider at my current address.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm afraid that as the broadband is being ceased at the current property the cessation fee would be applicable.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
poohbear1
Hooked

... but it isn't going to stop!

The person moving in will have broadband.

And, as it says on the PlusNet website, I'm moving elsewhere on the BT network so the fee isn't applicable ...

As I said earlier, Plusnet/BT will charge me for laeving, do nothing and then charge the person coming in for connecting broadband.

Chris
Legend

And, as it says on the PlusNet website, I'm moving elsewhere on the BT network so the fee isn't applicable ...

You're moving to a different property, so the broadband on your current line will be stopped.

As the line is being ceased at the current property this means the fee is applicable I'm afraid.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
poohbear1
Hooked

Please actually read the Plusnet web page at http://portal.plus.net/support/customer_service/billing/cessation_charges.shtml - it says very cleary:

Cessation charges don't apply if:

• You switch to a service that's part of the BT Wholesale network

which is what I'm doing.

The line isn't being ceased - it's going to stay there and active because the person moving in wants a landline and broadband connection.

Chris
Legend

Unfortunately as it's not *you* who is switching that line to the new service, the line will be ceased before the new occupants take out a service.

poohbear1
Hooked

To repeat, please actually read the Plusnet web page at http://portal.plus.net/support/customer_service/billing/cessation_charges.shtml - it says very cleary:

which is what I'm doing. I am switching to a service which is part of the BT Wholesale network.

So, why should I pay anything?

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@poohbear1 wrote:

To repeat, please actually read the Plusnet web page at http://portal.plus.net/support/customer_service/billing/cessation_charges.shtml - it says very cleary:

which is what I'm doing. I am switching to a service which is part of the BT Wholesale network.

So, why should I pay anything?

If you were switching the service to another provider that would be correct. However from what you've said I get the impression that you are cancelling the service and moving to another property.

Although I appreciate the service at your new address may still be on the BT Network, that would have no bearing on the current service as it will be a completely new service at a new address. It would not be switching our service to a new provider on the BT Network.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet