I see the bounty payment referral scheme has once again come to the end.  Cry
Is there another in the pipeline? I need some more beer money.  Cheesy
10 REPLIES 10
Mark
Grafter

Re: Bounty payments

I need some more beer money.

Dont we all. I spent most of mine at the open day Tongue
Yip the referrals bounty offer is dead and buried but will it make a resurrection? Maybe is the answer, but not just yet. We are examining a number of options but your question has provoked an exploration mission for me Smiley
When it comes to referring, how much does the cash payment influence the decision? I know that this is potentially a loaded question but do referrers consider products, service and support first and look upon the bounty / monthly payment as a sweetner to the deal?
Its a genuine question and I'd love to hear some thoughts and views. Smiley
snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Mark
do referrers consider products, service and support first and look upon the bounty / monthly payment as a sweetner to the deal?

Yes.
foxy
Grafter

I'm more motivated to refer if there's bounty payments involved, where as if it's just the usual 25p off my subscription then it's not quite worth the effort.
Take sky for example, £50 for you and £50 for a friend? You'd be mad not to sign a friend up.

PS if anyone wants sky, message me  Wink
Mark
Grafter

You'd be mad not to sign a friend up.

I guess it depends on how much you value that friendship :). (Thats a wee joke btw )
Loombucket
Grafter

This will come as no surprise to Mark but it's worth reiterating....
Whilst I welcome the bounty and regard it as a very nice "thankyou" from PN, it doesn't actually influence my decision as to which ISP to recommend to my customers.  I'm an IT consultant and as such I'm paid to recommend whichever ISP will be best for them in my opinion.  Plusnet therefore gets my vote in over 95% of cases (there are a very few customers whose specific (and unusual) requirements or location means I have to use other ISPs) due to the oft-stated quality and value of their services and support.  This would have to continue even if there was no financial gain for me at all - the customers' needs must override that.
Whilst the monthly income per customer is understandably very small, the fact that over about a four year period I have built up to over 70 referrals means that instead of my paying PN, each month they pay me about £13.00.
That'll do nicely.  Cool

I must stress that this is a purely personal opinion and should not in itself sway any decision by PN whether or not to continue the bounty sceme - others in a different position may find it a definite decision-maker.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Confessional time.
I effectively referred myself.
I have a force9/Plusnet account at home and have had for some considerable time. I also hold the dubious position of IT Manager at my place of work.
The time came to change the Broadband account at work and I chose Plusnet as the most appropriate, reward or no reward.
When setting up the account I used it as a referral from my home account.
In my defence, as both accounts are paid for by my employer I actually receive nothing. Sad
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
blackrat999
Grafter

I too get paid by PN every month instead of the other way round. I have used PN since my exchange was enabled about 5 years ago and  moved house with them. I change everything else (gas/electric etc) regularly to get the best deal so I recommend PN because I feel they are the best.
HOWEVER:
i find that most of my referrals are now transfers from other ISP's like Tiscali and TalkTalk. Mostly as a result of chat in the office about "how cr@p my broadband is....." I then muscle in with my services - which include doing the sign up for them and going to the home and setting up the new equipment/email etc. Now for 25p a month i dont bother as it will probably cost a fiver in fuel nowadays - but for the bounty payments for phone and broadband it was well worth the trip/time.
Once they start again Mark i will be back working for you !!
regards
Richard
Rikaitch
Grafter

As another IT consultant I also have to agree that without anything, I'd still refer PN to customers. The support is so much better then AOL/BT/Tiscali/Orange etc etc, and so much more reliable overall. This doesn't mean that I'd be happy if you took away my referral values, but as I say to my customers "money isn't why I refer them, it's because they work." I also point out that it's better to pay the referrer then pay to bombard us with adverts on TV that people don't listen to.
Mark
Grafter

Thanks folks for the feedback so far. Its good to see.
Rik, no intention of taking away the monthly payments but simply guaging the impact / motivation element of the bounty.
We'll certainly gain a decent understanding from discussions such as this.
Now for 25p a month i dont bother as it will probably cost a fiver in fuel nowadays - but for the bounty payments for phone and broadband it was well worth the trip/time.

Totally understand where you are coming from Richard.
I effectively referred myself

Ssshh Strat. I'll not tell if you dont Tongue
Whilst I welcome the bounty and regard it as a very nice "thankyou" from PN, it doesn't actually influence my decision as to which ISP to recommend to my customers.  I'm an IT consultant and as such I'm paid to recommend whichever ISP will be best for them in my opinion.

Again , understood. this is exactly the position I was in prior to coming to work for PlusNet.
Sky James? Shame on you Tongue
xpcomputers
Grafter

Much as I am not a fan of SKY, deals like Sky's recent £50 each are an ideal case to explore though. I would still recommend PlusNet over £100 from Sky, but equally, those of us who post here are probably in the minority. We'll probably be the more tech-savvy end of your referrers and so are more likely to see the bigger picture. I'm sure the average home user is swayed very much by cash offers. And even with integrity, how much of a cash bounty can you resist before you change allegiance?
I recently told my dad to avoid the Sky deal and stay with PlusNet (so I keep my 50p), even when it was my uncle doing the referring and had offered to give his £50 to dad too, as he wasn't in it for the money. I still felt that PlusNet served his purposes better. 50p a month (or 25p for new packages) wasn't going to sway the deal either way for me or him... but the £100 was very tempting to him!
I can see how the removal of the bounties could see the number of referrals drop in very real terms for you. Maybe I will still advise people to use PlusNet, but equally maybe I will be less opportunistic in seeking those referrals, and just be reactive only if directly asked my opinion. Less hassle that way...
It also might be that a better deal I would recommend might come along. Good provider I could recommend with a cash bounty.
I know someone previously with Sky (not my first choice) has moved at my suggestion to O2. He has a phone with them so get unlimited up to 8MB broadband for £7.50 a month. They are better suited to an unlimited account as they could easily burst a set usage account like PlusNet's (and aren't disciplined enough to keep watch on it month by month!), and for the price it seemed a good deal. They've had no problems so far. It would be difficult to recommend to them that paying £15 for Option2 with PlusNet is better for them. No cash bounty could sway that one anyway. If BE had enabled my exchange, maybe I would have moved to them myself a few years back. It will take a while to see how O2 will handle things in a long term perspective.
Cases like these are few and far between for me currently, but maybe the lack of cash bounty, might influence me in the future. I am always in the look out for the best deal for me & my friends.