Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bogus early termination charge

FIXED
richi
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Bogus early termination charge

I'm migrating away on Dec 3rd, which is one whole day before my 12-month contract is up. I've just received email saying you're charging me £17.25 for the pleasure!

Service Notice #393064693 is your reference.

That's clearly an error. Please confirm.

38 REPLIES 38
Gythral8PNC
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Bogus early termination charge

You are not the only one this has happened to, I'm moving 2 days earlier and got an email saying I would get billed £11.61 for it, again dispite having already made 24 payments on a 24 month contract & follwoing the information customer services gave me about when to start the move procedure etc...

Hope you get a better response than I have so far.

richi
Aspiring Pro

Being fully aware of the long-standing issues of incorrect billing at Plusnet, I've cancelled my direct debit. Obviously, I'll cheefully pay any final sum we actually owe, but not this.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hello @richi, I am sorry about the misinformation. I have now replied to your online ticket here.

richi
Aspiring Pro

Thanks, @Mads. I'd appreciate an email with this information, confirming I “will not owe this amount nor any amount for cancellation charges.”

In other words, if a business emails me with an incorrect demand for payment, it really should use the same medium to correct the mistake.

Thanks,
rj.

Gythral8PNC
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

You'll probably be asking for a written copy too, later today, as I've just had an incorrect 'pre-bill' in writing!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry to see we've incorrectly calculated your early termination charges. I've posted replies to both of your support tickets and I'll follow up on or after your migration date depending on when the final bill is automatically generated.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
richi
Aspiring Pro

@Gandalf grateful for your help, but I don't need another ticket reply, I need an email reply—the same medium is Plusnet used to inform me of the incorrect charge.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem Richi.

My ticket would've sent an email.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
richi
Aspiring Pro

OK, yes I see the email now. It must have been delayed. Thanks, @Gandalf.

However, your reply seems to contradict that from @Mads:

1. From what she was saying, I didn't expect to receive an incorrect bill.
  2. However, you appear to be saying I will receive an incorrect bill, which will then be "credited".

To be clear: I do not accept that option 2 is acceptable business practice. It may be your SOP, but any such incorrect direct debit will be reversed, and Plusnet will bear the transaction cost.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If you've received the automated email advising of an early termination charge then it's likely that the system will generate this figure as the final bill (deducting any due refunds) after your account is closed.

Unfortunately there's no way to override the system as it is automated. However I will keep an eye on this for you and ensure that we refund or credit you appropriately if the final bill is incorrect.

Alternatively if you cancel your direct debit then any final invoice will fail and we'll go from there.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
richi
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the advice. I've done that.

Obviously, I'm disappointed that your super new accounting system is just as broken and inflexible as the old one!

richi
Aspiring Pro

Now your broken accounting system has sent me a letter, once again contradicting your statement that I don't owe you an early cancellation charge. I wish I could say I'm surprised.

Please send me a letter confirming that I don't owe this charge.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

I'm afraid we cannot send out any letters in relation to this, essentially my colleague @Gandalf will be handling this for you with regard to the final invoice.

richi
Aspiring Pro

What do you mean, you can't? That makes no sense.

I keep reading stories of Plusnet sending debt collectors to people's doors over bills they've been told to ignore. I am not prepared to have that happen to me. I want it in writing, please @Gandalf.