cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bit of a nightmare

shooterama

Bit of a nightmare

Hello,

I'm writing this post as switching to Plusnet for broadband (and phone) has proved costly and disruptive. What should have been a straightforward switch has wasted more than 10 hours of my time and has left me out of pocket by a substantial amount.

So here is a timeline of what has happened:

1: I choose to switch to Plusnet from BT via uSwitch.com on 8 May 2017

2: Plusnet tried to place my order on 15 May, but this was put on hold because Plusnet needed to install a new line. My property was not rated as 'gold' on the Openreach database and Plusnet was unable to access/use the line that BT had been using. I pay £49.99 for installation of a new line. My order is put on hold until 26 May.

3: Installation of a new line is delivered on 05 June, and the service ‘turned on’ on 19th June.   

4: My internet connection isn't working and the modem I use, Draytek Vigor2760n, can't connect to the service. 

5: Plusnet customer service told me the modem I am using is not compatible with my service and I was charged £6.50 for delivery of a Plusnet router. I return the Draytek router.

6: The Plusnet router arrives and the service still won't connect.

7: After contacting customer service we arranged for an engineer to come and check the line on 27 June. The service had not been correctly installed at the local box/exchange on my street. Customer service promised to reimburse me for the time I have not been online, but I have not received any follow up.

8: Service started the same day (27th), but the Plusnet router is not compatible with Apple TV. I bought another Draytek router (same model as previously) and it works perfectly. So wrong advice from Plusnet customer service.

9: On 12 July, I see that BT is still charging me £56.49 for my previous internet/phone service so I called them and asked why. They tell me that it was Plusnet's responsibility to change over the account and inform BT to cancel the pre-existing account. This is confirmed in the FAQ section of Plusnet’s website, question #2 https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/faqs/#switch . I cancel the BT account directly with BT, although it will take 30 days. I have been charged £169.47 for BT usage since switching to Plusnet.

I want to believe that Plusnet is a worthwhile ISP to opt for, but the multiple hold-ups and errors I’ve endured are eroding my trust. Since starting the process I’ve been offline from 05 June until 27 June, and have had to pay an extra £169.47 (arguably the extra £49.99 if Plusnet did not insist on installing a new line, and of course the £6.50 delivery charge for a router that is sub standard). 

Has anyone else suffered similar problems? I’d like a refund but fear I’d have to go to the regulator if this isn’t sorted out properly. 

Thanks,

Shooterama

2 REPLIES 2
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Bit of a nightmare

Hi there,

@shooterama wrote:
I'm writing this post as switching to Plusnet for broadband (and phone) has proved costly and disruptive. What should have been a straightforward switch has wasted more than 10 hours of my time and has left me out of pocket by a substantial amount.

Sorry to hear of your poor experience. Sad

shooterama wrote:

2: Plusnet tried to place my order on 15 May, but this was put on hold because Plusnet needed to install a new line. My property was not rated as 'gold' on the Openreach database and Plusnet was unable to access/use the line that BT had been using. I pay £49.99 for installation of a new line. My order is put on hold until 26 May.

Whilst it's strange that an address would be listed as silver key even though there's a working line, I've done a bit of digging into this and it's seems that that was the case. After we placed the new line install, the order went through the address validation stage for a few days and then we were able to book the appointment for you.

@shooterama wrote:

4: My internet connection isn't working and the modem I use, Draytek Vigor2760n, can't connect to the service.

Sorry that your service didn't work when your connection activated. From reading the engineer notes, it looks like the jumpering work wasn't completed correctly at the cabinet.

@shooterama wrote:

5: Plusnet customer service told me the modem I am using is not compatible with my service and I was charged £6.50 for delivery of a Plusnet router. I return the Draytek router.

Sorry for that advice. From a quick Google check, it looks like it should be compatible because it appears to be a VDSL2 modem router.

@shooterama wrote:

7: After contacting customer service we arranged for an engineer to come and check the line on 27 June. The service had not been correctly installed at the local box/exchange on my street. Customer service promised to reimburse me for the time I have not been online, but I have not received any follow up.

I'm sorry that the refund for your downtime wasn't follow up, I've just calculated and refunded that to your card now.

@shooterama wrote:

8: Service started the same day (27th), but the Plusnet router is not compatible with Apple TV. I bought another Draytek router (same model as previously) and it works perfectly. So wrong advice from Plusnet customer service.

Apologies again about that advice. Happy to hear your Draytek router is working, though I'm a bit puzzled as to why the Hub One doesn't work with your Apple TV. I've that setup at home and it works fine. Just out of curiosity, what happens when you setup your Apple TV with the Plusnet router?

@shooterama wrote:

9: On 12 July, I see that BT is still charging me £56.49 for my previous internet/phone service so I called them and asked why. They tell me that it was Plusnet's responsibility to change over the account and inform BT to cancel the pre-existing account. This is confirmed in the FAQ section of Plusnet’s website, question #2 https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/faqs/#switch . I cancel the BT account directly with BT, although it will take 30 days. I have been charged £169.47 for BT usage since switching to Plusnet.

Whilst it's true that the gaining provider informs the losing provider of the migration, that only applies to working line takeover/transfer orders which we were unable to place because of the address records. Having said that, I'll be happy to offer you a gesture of goodwill. I've created this ticket on your account with more information.

@shooterama wrote:

I want to believe that Plusnet is a worthwhile ISP to opt for, but the multiple hold-ups and errors I’ve endured are eroding my trust. Since starting the process I’ve been offline from 05 June until 27 June, and have had to pay an extra £169.47 (arguably the extra £49.99 if Plusnet did not insist on installing a new line, and of course the £6.50 delivery charge for a router that is sub standard).

I hope this helps and I'll be passing internal feedback on where appropriate in regards to your experience.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Bit of a nightmare

You are absolutely right, that really is a nightmare, it is beyond belief that PlusNet and their suppliers ( i.e. various parts of BT) can mess things up so much. if you don't get a generous goodwill gesture, in itself an inappropriate name as you, understandably will have very little goodwill for PlusNet, it may be worth reporting the saga to OFCOM who will add it to the other complaints they have received and may eventually take some action.Smiley